"My pretty angel"

The mirror had been a common enemy of mine for a while now. I couldn't bring myself to see beauty in the reflective glass, and instead saw something I could not quite explain. It wasn't downright disgusting and ugly, but it wasn't too marvellous either. The mirror was like a a Cheshire Cat: mischevious and misdirecting, and always an illusion in front of me. If I looked in the mirror it was okay, but the more I stared the more I saw. And it wasn't too pleasant. Some days it showed me exactly what I wanted to see, but most days that wasn't the case. Today was most days.

"This is so stupid." I slowly started to untie the dress Niki had bought for me, but I couldn't reach the bow holding it together. It was beautiful, really. It was a red silk dress, strapless and ankle length, with creases that made it look like it had been slightly tampered with but it added to its charm. It was luminous in the light and dark, and made me feel like a queen just by touching it. But not wearing it. When I wore it I felt exposed and pointed at. No one was in the room but every hair on my body pricked up as if I was being eyed. "Calm down", I reassured myself. "Just fucking calm down."

Thump, thump, thump. This was one of those moments where I could feel my heart in my throat, and my hands went slick with sweat. I imagined that if my emotions were visible, trails of mulberry purple and plum lingered around my head and little undertones of navy and raspberry red teased and wafted around. I wanted out. I wanted spurts of lemonade and crepe pink, hints of sunset orange and sunflower yellow. See, this dress was insane. It made me see my emotions like a colour palette.

"Princess?" Niki knocked on the door. Rarely had he ever called me that, but every time he did I'm sure every aura around me turned burning blush pinkish red. "Hmm?" He rattled the door knob. "Can I come in?" I looked back at the mirror. Hell, I looked like I stole Christmas with my grinch posture. "Um...uh, wait! I-I'm not done." He chuckled. "Baby, I've seen you without clothes, you can let me in." He rattled the knob again and the door opened. "Eh?" But I had locked the door! Niki stood in front of the ajar door now, a small smirk on his lips.

He was so handsome. He was clad in a simple black suit, but he still looked like a fallen angel. He had this vicious beauty to him, and it gave me butterflies every time. "Baby", Niki drawled. To my surprise, he was smiling ear to ear looking at me. "You look ravenous." My cheeks turned hot pink as my earlier plum and navy emotions turned to pearly white and curious orange. "Do I?" He nodded. "I don't seem to get that." Niki's brows knitted into a frown. "You don't?" I shook my head. "Huh."

Huh? What's 'huh'? "Well, I think I'm gonna change." Niki spun me around to face my nemesis—the mirror. "Look again. His hands hugged me from behind, his head rested on my shoulder. "Chin up." I slowly fixed my posture and lifted my chin. His fingers caressed the silk of my dress. "Wanna know what I like?" I did indeed. "Yeah." His hands started on my hips. "Look how it clings to your curves here", his fingers traced them. "How it hug onto your skin here", he massaged my waist. "Oh, and my two favourite parts!" He kissed my neck. "Here", his one big hand gently grazed my chest. So soft that I almost didn't feel it. "And here", he spanked my butt in a not-so-gentle way.

 He moved closer to kiss my ear. "My pretty girl." I blushed as he kissed down my neck again. He swirled his tongue around my collarbone. My colour changed from orange to red. Deep, seductive red. Not the raspberry red of anguish, but instead the maroon red of sultry and sweet desire. "But", Niki said. "As much as I love how you look in this dress, I sure would love to see you taking it off."