27-Discharged

Aspen's POV
Flynn flashed one more look of nervousness at me and the took a deep breath. "Reid, I have to tell you something." "I'm listening." "I know why Mathias shot me." Reid's grip on my hand tightened and his jaw tightened. "Why?" "Because I'm gay." Reid's face filled with confusion. "This is Miles, my boyfriend." Reid's face shifted again but I couldn't tell what to. He stood there silently for a moment. I squeezed his hand and he turned toward me. "You knew about this already?" "Yeah, he told me last night when he called Miles on my phone." "He's been here all night? Even when I drunk called you?" "Yes even when you drunk called and told me about Mathias kicking the bucket." "Wait, so Mathias was homophobic?" I face palmed at his statement and Flynn took over explaining the situation.

"Yeah. Me and Miles were on a date and Mathias showed up to the restaurant with his wife. He started asking questions, I told him it was none of his damn business, then he shot me." "So he didn't disapprove your date because she was bad, he disapproved because it wasn't a girl. I think that's even worse than what he originally told us." I pulled his attention back to me momentarily. "That's why I said I was ok with him being dead." "That makes a lot more sense, you were very off put by the first guy you found out I killed." "Still off put, just not upset. Plus you didn't technically kill Mathias. He fell off a building." "I guess that's true." Flynn cleared his throat and made eyes towards Miles still sitting there. Reid had a realization then extended his hand toward him. "Reid, it's nice to meet you." "You too."

We stayed at the hospital all day and just before visiting hours ended, the head nurse came into the room. "I'm nurse Grant, I'll be handling your release." She looked up from her clipboard then to see everyone in the room. "Nurse Blake, I didn't know you were working today." "I'm not, hence the clothing choice, just a friend." I don't like nurse Grant, she's a bitch and she thinks she's better than everyone. "A friend or a friend." She emphasized the word, trying to put a friends-with-benefits connotation to it. "No. Basically an in-law actually, if you must know." "I didn't know you were getting married. Didn't think anybody would ever think of you that way." Reid's whole demeanor changed and I could tell he wanted to punch her. "I think of her in that way very often, it sounds like some self-deflection to me." I let out a stifled laugh at Reid's statement. "Here's the discharge papers, sign them and turn them in to the desk then get out of here." She handed me the packet and stormed out of the room.

"I can't believe she talked about you like that." "She does that all the time babe, it's nothing new. She's a bitch, I purposely don't schedule myself to work with her. If I get scheduled with her I try my best to switch days with someone." I started to fill out the paperwork, only leaving blanks for Reid to sign since it had to be a family member unless there were none. "I hate to say it but I agree with Reid. You need to stick up for yourself more, she was really disrespectful." "It's really fine guys, some nurses just think they're better than everyone else. It's kind of like a mean girl in highschool, entitled and bratty. Sign here and here." Reid did it and then handed back everything to me. "Get everything Flynn brought in to the hospital and throw away any trash. I'll be back in a minute to disconnect you from everything." Reid nodded and so did Flynn, then I left the room.

I got to the nurses station and handed them the papers, saying hi to all the people who I was cordial with. I walked back to Flynn's room but stopped in my tracks when I got to the room next to his. Mia, one of my patients from a while ago, was sitting on the couch in the room and the door was wide open. I walked over and knocked on the opened door before walking inside. There was an older woman in the bed, not Mia's mom. "Nurse Blake!" She ran towards me and hugged me. I squatted down to be her height. "Hi Mia, how are you?" "I'm ok." "Who's this?" "This is Gina. She takes care of me and my sister now. Mommy and Daddy had to go away." I felt that in my heart, they were such nice people and Mia was so young, not to mention her sister. "Are you taking care of Gina now?" "No, I'm here to see a friend. Where is your sister now?" "They took her to where they keep all the babies, since she's only one years old. But they left me in here with Gina. I haven't gotten to see her in two days. And it's getting pretty boring in here since Gina is sleeping all of the time." I looked over and saw that Gina appeared to be in a medically induced coma. "You stay here, I'll be back in just a few minutes ok?" "Ok, I'll see you soon."

I went to Flynn's room and disconnected him from all the cables and IVs. "We're gonna have to take a detour. There's a wheelchair in the corner so use that but I have to check on a case." The boys nodded at me and I went up to the desk, the three of them following behind me. "Hey nurse Kelly." "Hey nurse Blake, what can I do for you?" "What's up with room 217?" "We don't know. Got a 9-1-1 call from a woman saying she felt like she was having a heart attack and then the ambulance brought in here, the little girl with her, and a younger baby. Put in her in a medically induced coma to reduce any pain she might have." "Did anybody call social services?" "The lady is social services, we called and they said they were short staffed and to do what we could till they could send someone but that it might be a few days. We put the baby in a room in pediatrics and assigned a nurse to be in there at all times but there was no bed for the kid." "Can I take her down there. She was patient a few months ago and she really wants to see her little sister." "Sure, she should really be down there anyway but Grant's orders." "Screw Grant, I'll do whatever I want to do."