Howl

A/N: Hey! I apologize for taking such a long time to update this story. I've actually been rewriting and editing most of the previous chapters. I tend to proofread and edit most of the things I write! I am up to date however, so yay! Enjoy this chapter and let me know what you think in the comments. Love you all.

LEVI'S POV

It was strange for him. Allowing that vulnerable feeling to flow through his whole body as he heard those words escape your lips. Something about the tone of your voice soothed him, like a lullaby he had been waiting for all his life, one that would finally allow him to not experience insomnia ever again. How had things gotten this far? He asked himself as he placed his pale hand onto the side of your neck. His heart was completely yours and yet, he continued to ask himself, how did this woman, who laid next to him in silence, had stolen his beating heart? One that had once belonged to duty. To fighting. To the war for freedom. Now it was secured within your hands. Only you could destroy it, shatter it to pieces. But he had gifted it to you willingly.

'I want to figure life out with you, too', he whispered. 'Come outside with me'.

By that time, everyone had gone to their tents to sleep, and Levi knew it. He guided you as you held onto his hand tightly, following him as you carried blankets under your arms, just as he had asked you to. Not too far from where you were all stationed, Levi found a tree that was surrounded by pillowy green grass. 'Here', he stopped and took the blankets from your hands, placing them over the ground. He then sat and extended his hand onto you, gesturing you to join him. 

You laid next to him, your head gently placed onto his shoulder, as both of you looked at the night sky. Stars invaded the whole scenery. Levi sighed deeply as he took in the beautiful sight before him, allowing himself to drown willingly to your touch and the mesmerizing light ignited by the stars. Your hand caressed his chest softly, and in that moment, he knew what heaven must be like. The feeling of absolute peace and comfort. Despite the terror and anxiety inducing nature of your current situation - he could die at that moment and be truly happy. Knowing he had loved so much, he had felt so much. Now would be an okay time to go. Before losing again.

'Levi? Are you okay?', you whispered softly, your hand still caressing his chest. He then realized you had probably noticed a change in his breathing. Without realizing, fear was starting to creep in again. And moments of bliss, of peace, were just momentary. There was nothing more he could do than to hold onto these instants of possibilities as tight as possible. As long as you could shift, as long as The Warriors continued to fight, fear would persevere.

'Yes. Come here', he pulled you in as you now rested your head onto his chest. Your arm completely embraced him and he began to caress it, his other hand exploring your hair with innocence and care. 

After some seconds, he surprisingly felt himself dozing off. That is, until...you both heard it.

You pulled your body up abruptly, placing both of your shoulders onto the ground to support yourself. As you looked into each others eyes, he felt his own lips part, the realization coming to him.

'Was that a scream?'