Sleep

YOUR POV

It had been three days since Levi' had gotten his leg amputated.  You'd spent your nights by his side, pressing your warm body against his delicately, and caring for him whenever he needed you throughout the night. He would wake up constantly, sweat dripping down his forehead. This frightened you: the possibility of an infection, the acknowledgment that he was in so much pain. You'd bring him the tea Doctor Keith instructed would assist with his pain every single night, but you couldn't help but feel a pit in your stomach every time you saw him struggle.

That was one of your greatest strengths : your capability of feeling such empathy toward other people. Although at certain points in your life you had convinced yourself it was more of a weakness than a positive atribute, there was a deep desire within you that hoped to take Levi's pain away whenever you saw him struggle throughout the night. This feeling completely took control of yourself whenever you'd brush your fingers against his chest and arms. You desperately wanted to give him comfort in any way possible.

That night was different, though. Levi didn't have a fever and seemed to be in less pain than during previous nights. You felt relieved as you gently placed his head under his pillow, quietly rearranging his head in a more comfortable position. His gaze was locked onto yours, brows slightly furrowed - you could tell he felt thankful for you, and you perceived how much your presence made him feel at ease. You let yourself release a sweet, deep sigh, placing your hand on his chest yet again.

He grabbed your hand as he slowly closed his eyes. You then blew the candle that sat right by his bed and placed your head onto his shoulder blade. You had both been sleeping in this position for the last couple of days. While in darkness, you paid attention to the small sounds coming from outside the tent - kids laughter, followed by the sound of people talking about trivial things.  You looked at Levi, fully aware that he wouldn't be able to see you and feeling comfort in that. There was something special about getting away with staring at him intently, like you used to do before you ever talked to him...

A couple of minutes went by, both of you still holding onto each others hands. You could hear Levi's breath, his head slowly moving to face you even though you knew he couldn't see you still.

'Oi, stranger'

'Mhm?'

'I got a letter the other day, from Paradis'

You felt your gaze widen, suddenly intrigued.

'From who?'

'Mikasa Ackerman'. He paused himself. You wondered if she was related to him. He then continued.

'She's visiting Marley with some of the scouts - they were all in my squad back when I was Captain. They're gonna be here next week. I'd like for you to meet them'.

You felt yourself grin in the darkness, your chest felt full and a warm sensation filled your body.

'I'd like that'.

Levi held your hand slightly tighter - his body even closer to yours than before. You wondered about these people you were going to meet. Would they be around your age? What sort of experiences had they gone through with Levi? You felt as if he was opening a part of his past life to you, and you suddenly asked yourself if this would reveal more about himself in time.

'I do have to warn you though...they are a handful of brats. They've grown quite a lot but they're still stupid kids'.

You softly chuckled under your breath, gently pressing your forehead onto his shoulder blade, as to bury your face onto him.

'Everyone's a stupid brat in your eyes'.

You couldn't see it, but Levi grinned to himself.

That week you continued to sleep besides him. Neither of you dared to kiss each other again for some reason. You could sense he was embarrassed of needing help, as if the surgery had made him weaker. You deeply wished he could understand that you saw him as a strong man. You didn't need to know all about his past to be able to tell that. You didn't need to see him walk...all it took was a simple, yet deep gaze from him, and you'd understand that he had gone through enough to become tough and resilient. Nothing about him expressed defeat...but you wondered if he saw himself as you saw him...

You tried not to think about those things much.