Shift

LEVI'S POV

As the rain continued to pour down heavily on Levi's hair and skin, he could not believe his eyes.

Was this really happening?

Right in front of him, swiftly getting off a horse, stood Reiner and Annie. Both of them completely soaked and beat up - bruises covering their whole bodies roughly. Annie couldn't dare to look at you and Levi, her gaze locked firmly onto the ground. A sad expression in her eyes, as in filled with regret. Reiner, on the other hand, stood tall right in front of Levi, his eyes in a deep frown, while his mouth remained agape.

He looked shocked to see you two together.

'What the hell?' - Reiner sighed expressed under his breath as he looked at you both, inspecting the scenery that laid before his eyes.

'You are asking us questions...?' - Levi pushed his body onto Reiners as he yelled this, an enraged look in his eye. He quickly grabbed the pocket knife he always carried with him in his pants and pressed it against Reiner's neck. With his other hand, he grabbed onto the blond's collar to completely immobilize him. Deep down, it truly amused Levi how much he could handle Reiner, despite their size difference.

Reiner grinded his teeth and grunted against Levi as he tried to push him away but to no avail - he couldn't get rid of his forceful grip. Annie remained completely still a few steps behind Reiner, as if trying to hide herself. You then screamed loudly at the scene.

'Stop! Both of you, now.' - you didn't have to repeat yourself. As soon as Levi heard your voice, his enraged expression turned into a deep frown. He grunted under his breath and abruptly let go of Reiner, pushing him as he did this, prompting the buff man to fall to the mudded ground. Levi then turned to face you, veins decorating his face and neck as his breathing became less agitated. He held onto his knife as he placed himself besides you again, not breaking eye contact with you for a second. He felt irritated but still understood the bastards had to stay alive for a bit more. They had a lot to answer for...

'You're walking...Levi' - Reiner gasped as he continued to remain on the floor. 'What are you doing here...together?' - he placed his gaze onto yours as he said this, Levi continued to look at you and your facial expression.

'Did you not hear him just now? You are not asking us any questions' - as you barked this Levi felt himself grin but made sure not to show it. Something about seeing that fire within you, and both of you working together as a team excited him deeply.

You then continued.

'Where the fuck were you two?! What happened to Jelena?! Answer, now!' - you screamed loudly, anger completely filling your voice. You didn't stutter at all, which prompted Annie to look up at you both and finally speak.

'Jelena? What...happened to her?' - she frowned in confusion. When she realized you and Levi wouldn't say a word, she continued. 'We were kidnapped and tortured...for days...' - she sighed, looking back a the ground.

Levi felt your gaze fall onto his - a confused and worried expression in your eyes. He found this hard to believe...they had conveniently disappeared right after Jelena was murdered? Then again, someone could have wanted to frame them... still, the whole thing was very strange.

'Who the fuck would want to kidnap you two?' - he asked firmly, his gazed penetrating Annie's. He couldn't stand to even look at her, a deep disgust filled his insides as the blond girl held her gaze onto his. But he recognized there was nothing threatening about her - she looked weak and sad. In some ways...almost defeated.

'The Warriors. It was a group of five men who took us, we didn't know what had happened to Jelena until now' - Reiner only looked at you, as if you would be the only one to believe them instead of Levi. He wasn't completely wrong, though - Levi thought as he now stared into the blond's eyes. He didn't look innocent or kind, he was nothing but a disloyal, piece of shit traitor to him. How could he even think about trusting him again? As Levi continued to wonder, Reiner picked himself up from the ground, slowly started approaching you. Without even thinking, Levi placed his body in front of yours abruptly, not allowing Reiner to get closer and completely shielding you.

'What do you think you're doing, idiot?' - he grunted at Reiner, his anger rapidly growing again.

'Look...I...know this is odd. But we didn't do shit - why would we attack the camp? Why now? The people that held us hostage... they are going to attack the camp soon, and we intend to prevent that from happening!' - something about his voice sounded sincere, but Levi couldn't risk it. He had trusted idiots before, idiots who had stabbed him in the back. Countless lives lost - he couldn't handle that again.

Before he could utter a word, you placed yourself besides him.

'What's their plan? Why attack a refugee camp?' - you asked, fear palpable in your voice.

'They want to get rid of as many Eldians as possible; refugee camps are filled with them. They also...tried to reclute us. They tortured us for days, until we managed to escape...' - Reined looked at his feet as he said this, a pained expression in his eye. Levi could see how the raindrops decorated his eyelashes and his troubled gaze.

As he felt his own breathing become heavier, Levi noticed you approaching Annie.

'And you? Any words from you?' - you sighed into her face. She remained silent, holding her gaze to her feet as if still... ashamed.

'Answer her!' - Levi barked loudly, this time feeling as his patience was slowly disintegrating.

Annie didn't utter a word, and that's when he lost it again. He quickly turned and grabbed Reiner's collar, roughly pushing his body close to his. The blond tried to get him off of his body but struggled harshly - he grunted onto Levi's face, uttering words he couldn't quite comprehend. He pleaded and cried... he begged for forgiveness. But Levi wouldn't let go.

As this continued, he could hear your footsteps behind him - and suddenly, a clicking sound.He turned around fast, trying to understand what was going on, but what he saw was something never in his life he would've expected to see.

A deep, loud, thunder-like sound shook the whole forest. Electric orange and yellow bolts surrounded your whole body, completely hiding your frame from sight. Levi parted his lips and widened his gaze as he stared at the terrible scene. He yelled out your name in desperation, not understanding if he was actually there or if this was all a dream. Reiner and Annie stood silently, their eyes wide as they looked up at you in disbelief. And that's when Levi noticed...

Your pendant was laying on the ground.