Share

YOUR POV

You both lay down next to each other for what felt like an eternity. You had been listening to Levi carefully - it shocked you how little you knew of him in a way. There was still a lot to discover about him, so much of his past that had been a mystery to you until that night. You also quite enjoyed looking at him while he spoke - his eyes remained on the ceiling as he breathed in and out, words dancing out of his lips. He looked comfortable. Safe.

'You remind me of them a lot, you know. Isabel and Farlan. They were strong, smart. They didn't have a direction but still were so curious. They just knew there was more than what we knew' - as he let out those words he turned his neck to face you. He had been talking about his previous squad, about Erwin and Hange. About what it felt like losing them.

'I wish I had met them. All of them, Levi' - you sighed as you turned to face him. You knew right then you could listen to this man talk for hours, as you find him infinitely interesting. You had both lost so much and for some reason, loss felt never ending in both of your lives.

'I think that's the most I've spoken in my entire life' - he whispered as he remained close to you. 'Now your turn, stranger'. You looked into his eyes and felt yourself take a deep breath.

'I...I've told you about my mother before'

'Not really'. As he said that you softly cleared your throat, your eyes finding his sweetly.

'She...protected me. All her life, that's all she did. She was a prostitute and tried her hardest to keep me away from... all that. She did her best to provide for me' - Levi looked into your eyes silently, his gazed widened as his lips parted slightly. 'She got sick. I lost her when I was around ten. With her death, we lost our house. I was put on an orphanage and was never adopted... Was pretty much left alone once I became of age' - you looked into nothingness as these last words slipped out your lips.

'I'm sorry. That must've been very hard' - you found Levi's gaze and faked a lazy smile.

'It was. But I managed. I survived. I just wish I hadn't felt so... scared, you know? I wish all that had made me stronger, fearless. I just... became this... fearful, weary version of myself. And it never changed'.

'You had to. It was your way of surviving' - as Levi said that, you thought of how similar his childhood had been to yours, how he had mentioned growing up in the underground, losing his mother, finding violence as a way to cope.

'I know. Very few things grounded me. Painting has always been one of those things. Looking at sunsets and painting them. Somehow, knowing that every single person in this world looks at the same sky every single day...it brought me comfort, I suppose. I found myself... staring at the sky, almost every night. At the stars, at the sunsets...' - you smiled genuinely then as you looked into his silver eyes. He gently brushed your hair away from your eye and tucked it behind your ear.

'I've always done the same thing. Looking at the stars. I began doing so when I met Isabel and Farlan, and I've never stopped since' - he sighed deeply, as if revealing this to you had lifted a huge weight off his shoulders. Part of you couldn't quite believe his words.

Where had Levi been all your life? Were you both experiencing the same life, through different bodies?

'Levi, I need to tell you something' - his gaze widened as you placed yourself into a seated position. He then lifted his body slightly as he flexed his arms, gently holding himself by his elbows. He remained silent as he waited for you to speak.

'I don't know what my purpose is. I never had, never will. Not even with this necklace. I don't think this is the reason I exist - I don't believe it makes me special. Seeing Ymir, speaking to her, accessing the coordinate... I just...know I am simply a vessel. Just like Eren was, then. This whole thing is not what I was meant to do... I'd rather believe this was pure chance. I want to believe this pendant has found itself on my mother's hands, and then on my neck, by chance. Not... divine intervention...' - as you paused, your eyes drifted to your lap. You felt yourself fidget with your fingers. Once you looked into Levi's eyes again, you noticed his face remained stoic and grounded, but curiosity decorated his gaze.

'What is your purpose then, (Y/n)?' - he whispered.

You paused for a moment, then slowly parted your lips.

'I am not sure. But everyday that passes, I know I'm going to figure it out, with you' -  you whispered as you looked deeply into his gaze.