Bite

LEVI'S POV

For the next two nights, you found yourself meeting Levi Ackerman at the same hour, his heart fluttering with a mixture of anticipation and nervousness. Despite your repeated offers to show him the progress on his portrait, he politely declined, preferring to await the final result without influencing your artistic process.

There was a delicate grace to your movements as you held the paintbrush in your hand, your fingers stained with colorful pigments. Levi observed you with a keen eye, noting the meticulousness with which you worked and the faint scent of cinnamon and lavender that enveloped the tent.

On the last night, Levi found himself holding the book you had shown him, his gaze alternating between its pages and your focused expression.

"Are you accustomed to thievery, stranger?" he quipped, a hint of amusement in his voice.

You chuckled softly, a self-deprecating smile playing on your lips as you tucked a strand of hair behind your ear. "Old habits die hard. Didn't have much to eat growing up, and things only got worse after my mother passed."

Levi furrowed his brow, a trace of sympathy in his eyes as he listened to your story. Despite the gravity of the conversation, you maintained your composure, deftly balancing the discussion with your painting.

"I heard you come from the Underground in Paradis," you remarked, your tone softening slightly.

Levi nodded, a flicker of discomfort crossing his features. "I forget people still gossip."

"How was it, living there?" you inquired, your voice tinged with curiosity.

"Filthy," he replied tersely, memories of the squalor flooding his mind.

Levi's expression darkened, a shadow of his own past crossing his features. He continued. "Sleeping there was close to impossible. Not a relaxing environment by any means."

"Do you sleep well now?" you asked, your gaze searching his face for any hint of vulnerability.

Levi's eye bore into yours, his silence speaking volumes as he grappled with his answer.

An hour passed in comfortable silence, broken only by the sound of brushstrokes against paper. As you stepped back to admire your work, Levi's curiosity got the better of him.

"A... cat?" he questioned, his confusion evident.

You chuckled nervously, a blush creeping onto your cheeks. "Yes, I... include cats in all my portraits. It's just a personal quirk."

Levi's gruff exterior softened slightly, a ghost of a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. "Thank you," he murmured, his hand grazing his jawline as he studied the painting.

Your smile in response seemed genuine, a warmth blossoming in his chest, decorated with quiet gratitude.

As you began to pack up your supplies, Levi surprised you with an offer of tea. The awkwardness between you dissipated as you shared a quiet moment over steaming cups, the fragrant scent of lavender filling the air.

"Late nights?" you ventured, breaking the silence.

He hesitated, his gaze dropping to your hands. "I... don't sleep much," he admitted softly.

You nodded in understanding, your eyes never leaving his face. "Surprising, considering the power of lavender," you remarked.

He lightly chuckled, a nervous energy crackling between you. "I drink it for the taste."

A lull settled between you, punctuated only by the occasional sip of tea.

"I... sleepwalk sometimes," you confessed suddenly, your fingers twisting around the pendant at your neck.

Levi's interest was piqued, his eyebrow arching inquisitively. "Do you?"

You nodded, a sheepish smile gracing your lips. "For years. It's rather inconvenient—I tend to wake up in odd places. But oddly enough, last night I woke up on the floor of my tent."

Levi scoffed, a smirk playing on his lips as he teased, "Sleepwalking and a fascination with cats. You're a peculiar one, brat."

Your playful glare met his amused gaze, and you found yourself biting your lip unconsciously.

"Well, you'd think me insane if I told you I tend to sing when I sleepwalk," you quipped.

The playfulness faded from his expression, replaced by a sudden seriousness that caught Levi off guard.