Chapter 61 - The Sacred Amulet

In the late morning at the outpost, Prince Victor and Prince Asher stood with Prince Julian as he prepared to depart. With a smile, Julian remarked, "It's been wonderful seeing you both after so long. My journey here was truly worthwhile."

Returning the sentiment, Prince Asher said, "Likewise, Brother Julian. Wishing you a safe journey ahead."

Prince Victor nodded, expressing with gratitude, "Indeed, your presence served a purpose this time. So yes, it was a pleasure meeting you." As Julian smiled in response, he bid his farewell and left, leaving behind a sense of camaraderie in his wake.

Turning to Prince Victor, Prince Asher inquired, "Brother, are you departing today as well?"

Prince Victor replied sternly, "No, I'll leave tomorrow. Since I've already come here, I might as well assess the conditions and ensure everything is in order before my departure."

Prince Asher, understanding Prince Victor's sense of duty, reassured him, "Brother, I  manage affairs here competently. You needn't concern yourself. However, if you wish to verify, I'll promptly send all pertinent documents regarding our work and finances to you."

With a nod of acknowledgment, Prince Victor left to attend to his duties, leaving Prince Asher to continue overseeing operations at the outpost.

Serena had managed to secure a precious half-day leave, citing an urgent matter that demanded her attention. However, her true destination lay beyond the confines of her workplace; she yearned to seek out Adam at the guard training ground.

As she hurried towards the training ground, a sense of urgency gripped her like a relentless tide, pulling her forward with an unstoppable force. However, upon arrival, she was met with a formidable obstacle: the imposing figure of the guard on duty. His stern countenance and demand for a permission letter instantly raised alarms in Serena's mind. She found herself lacking the security of a permission letter this time, unlike the one Edith had given her during her previous visit.

Remaining composed, Serena endeavored to plead her case with the guard, her tone polite yet tinged with insistence. "I have no intention of entering," she clarified, "I just need to speak with Adam. It's urgent."

However, the guard, seemingly unmoved by Serena's plea, cast a dismissive glance over her attire, silently questioning her significance. His response was terse and unwavering. "Sir Adam is presently unavailable. You'll need to return at a later time."

Undeterred, Serena pressed on, "Can you at least tell me when he'll return?" she inquired, her voice tinged with a hint of desperation. "I'll wait if I have to."

But the guard, now convinced that Serena was nothing more than a nuisance, refused to disclose any information. "I can't tell you that," he replied bluntly, his tone final.

Disheartened yet unwilling to concede defeat, Serena made one final plea. "Please, convey to him that Serena was here and urgently requests a meeting."

With a reluctant nod, the guard reluctantly agreed to pass on the message, though inwardly he had no intention of doing so. As Serena turned away, her heart weighed down by disappointment, she couldn't shake the overwhelming sense of defeat. Her journey here had been fueled by hope for Adam's assistance, yet she found herself denied even a chance to meet him.

As Serena made her way back, not far from the training ground, she suddenly felt a strong tug on her arm, causing her to whirl around in surprise. Before her stood a young woman dressed in the humble attire of a palace staff member.

"Why did you pull me like that? Who are you?" Serena demanded, her voice tinged with a mixture of shock and apprehension.

The young woman, Rei, her face etched with guilt, hesitated before speaking. "I'm Rei. I've been following you for days," she confessed, her tone filled with remorse.