Chapter 42 - Amidst Royal Courts: Paths of Destiny

In the soft morning light filtering through the curtains, Serena meticulously adjusted her uniform while Aviva diligently tidied up the room. Their routine was interrupted by a gentle rap on the door, prompting Aviva to pause her task and open it. There, standing with an air of solemnity, was Dominic, clutching a letter in his hand.

As Serena approached, Dominic's eyes met hers, he greeted her with a respectful, "Good morning, Miss Serena." He extended the letter towards her, "This is the document for Aviva's new job, as you requested Prince Victor." Dominic explained.

With a mix of anticipation and gratitude, Serena accepted the letter, carefully breaking its seal. As she scanned its contents, her heart swelled with a sense of fulfillment. It was an offer for a laundry job in the palace—a humble position, yet a step towards independence for Aviva.

Dominic, sensing Serena's approval, inquired, "Is this okay?"

Serena's voice trembled slightly with happiness for aviva, as she replied, "Yes, this is okay."

With a nod of understanding, Dominic bid them farewell, leaving the room filled with a newfound sense of hope. Aviva, her eyes glistening with unshed tears, closed the door behind him.

Turning to Aviva, Serena extended the letter with a warm smile, her own eyes shimmering with pride. "Here, take this. From now on, you'll no longer have to endure solitude in this room. You can earn for yourself, paving the path for a brighter future."

Aviva's hand shook as she reached for the letter, her emotions overwhelming her. Before, she was merely a slave without the freedom to earn her own keep. Now, the opportunity lay before her, a symbol of her newfound agency. Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked at the letter, then she turned to Serena, her heart brimming with gratitude.

"Thank you, Serena," she whispered, her voice choked with emotion. And in a spontaneous gesture, she wrapped her arms around Serena in a heartfelt embrace. Understanding her feelings, Serena gently patted Aviva's back, silently conveying her support.

After their heartfelt moment, Serena prepared to leave for her duty. However, before she could open the door, another knock echoed through the room, causing Serena to pause for a moment.
As Serena opened the door, she found Alexander waiting outside, his expression reflecting a mixture of contemplation and concern, his gaze shifted between Serena and Aviva. "Can we talk privately?" he asked, his voice hesitant.

Serena nodded, acknowledging the need for discretion. Stepping outside with Alexander, she waited patiently as he closed his eyes briefly, seemingly collecting his thoughts. When he spoke, his tone was grave, tinged with a sense of urgency.

"I'm hesitant to burden you with this, but I believe only you can resolve this problem," Alexander began, his words carrying a weighty significance.

Serena's brow furrowed with intrigue as she leaned in attentively. "What's the matter?" she inquired. "Please, tell me the details."

In the midst of their conversation, Alexander hesitated, his words hanging in the air like a delicate balance. "The thing is... Prince Oliver is a bit sick..."

Before he could finish, Serena's voice cut through the room, her concern palpable. "Don't tell me that it's because of his heart," she interjected, her eyes widening with worry.

Taken aback, Alexander's gaze flickered with surprise. "How do you know about his heart condition? Who told you? This is a secret known to only a select few. Everyone believes he was cured in his childhood. How did you come by this information about his heart disease?" His tone held a mix of curiosity and suspicion, almost leading Serena to an interrogation room. But recognizing her significance to Prince Oliver, he held back.