Chapter 50 - Theodore's Secret Scheme

Serena stirred from her slumber, the soft rays of dawn filtering through the curtains as Aviva's urgent voice penetrated her dreams. "Serena, wake up," Aviva said, her tone urgent. "Serena, it's already morning. If you don't wake up now, you'll be late for your duty."

Blinking away the remnants of sleep, Serena's mind raced to catch up with the reality of the morning. "Oh no," she murmured, her heart quickening with the realization that time had slipped away unnoticed. "I didn't realize it was already morning, and I'm still so sleepy."

Aviva gently prodded Serena to wakefulness, concern evident in her voice. "Did you come back too late last night?" she inquired, noting the fatigue etched on Serena's face. "It seems like you didn't get enough sleep."

"It's nothing, really," Serena reassured her, pushing aside her own weariness. "I'm fine. I'll get ready right away."

As Serena began to stir herself from the bed, Aviva interjected, "I've already prepared everything for you."

"You don't have to do this every day, Aviva," Serena protested softly, a pang of guilt tugging at her heart. "You have your own job to attend to. It's not fair for you to exhaust yourself taking care of me."

Aviva's response was simple yet sincere. "I want to do it because it makes me happy," she insisted, her gaze steady.

Serena offered no further protest, rising from the bed and setting about preparing herself for the day ahead.

Meanwhile, in the dense forests of Eldoria, within the confines of a secluded military cantonment, Theodore sat in his chamber, a letter in hand, the weight of responsibility etched upon his brow. Beside him sat a middle-aged man named Drusus, his weathered features a testament to years of service and sacrifice.

The urgency in Drusus's voice cut through the stillness of the chamber as he addressed Theodore. "What does the letter say?" he inquired.

With a sense of gravity, Theodore relayed the contents of the missive to his trusted confidant. "Marcus, the previous commander of Elysia, is ready to cooperate with us in our plan to overthrow the current king," he began. "However, Aaron's words carry a warning. He suspects that Marcus may harbor ambitions of his own, seeking to claim the throne for himself once the dust settles."

Drusus's furrowed brow revealed his concern. "It's something worrisome," he conceded, his voice tinged with a hint of resignation. "But this is not something unpredictable. Marcus is a betrayer; we can't expect loyalty from him."

Theodore nodded solemnly, his gaze fixed on the parchment in his hand. "You're right, Uncle Drusus," he admitted, his jaw clenched with resolve. "But I have a plan in my mind."

Curiosity flickered in Drusus's eyes as he leaned in, eager to hear Theodore's strategy. "Tell me," he urged, his tone tinged with curiosity.

Theodore's mind raced as he outlined his plan, each word calculated and precise. "We'll divide our forces," he began, his voice steady despite the weight of the decision. "One group will accompany Aaron and his father to attack the palace with Marcus's assistance. Meanwhile, a smaller, elite unit led by me will launch a surprise attack on Marcus and his loyalists."

Drusus nodded slowly, his expression grave. "And how do you plan to catch Marcus off guard?" he inquired, his mind already spinning with the implications of Theodore's plan.

A steely resolve settled over Theodore as he revealed the final piece of his strategy. "We'll exploit the element of surprise," he declared. "Marcus believes us unaware of his treachery. We'll use that to our advantage, striking swiftly and decisively."

Drusus's eyes widened in understanding, a mixture of admiration and concern flickering in their depths. "It's a risky maneuver," he conceded, his tone laced with caution. "But if executed correctly, it could tip the scales in our favor."