Chapter 55 - Silent Struggles

Prince Oliver remained utterly still, a solitary figure bathed in the moon's ethereal glow, his thoughts adrift in a sea of turmoil. Time slipped away unnoticed, the silence of the night broken only by the gentle rustle of the curtains in the breeze. It wasn't until the first hints of dawn painted the room in soft hues of pink and orange that he roused from his trance.

As he attempted to rise, his body protested with every movement, aching and sore from the long hours of stillness. A bitter smile tugged at his lips, only to falter as he felt the dryness and pain, the taste of blood on his tongue a harsh reminder of his neglect. Slowly, he made his way to the table, his steps faltering with weakness, and poured himself glass after glass of water, the cool liquid soothing his parched throat.

Crawling into bed, exhaustion weighing heavily upon him, he stared up at the ceiling, his mind swirling with questions that had haunted him for years. "Why me?" he whispered, the words heavy with bitterness and resignation. "Why is this happening to me? Don't I have the right to live my own life?"

His voice echoed in the stillness of the room, the pain of his past wounds etched into every syllable. Memories flooded his mind, each one a reminder of the restrictions and expectations that had suffocated him since childhood. "When I was but a child, my father forbade me from play. As I grew older and yearned to explore the world beyond these palace walls, he forbade me from venturing out. And now, as I dare to dream of learning the art of swordsmanship, he forbids me that too."

The weight of his father's disapproval pressed down upon him, a heavy burden that threatened to crush his spirit. "Why doesn't he just say it?" Oliver's voice cracked, tears glistening in his eyes as he stared into the void. "Why doesn't he just say that I can't live?"

For hours, Prince Oliver lay on his bed with his eyes closed, but sleep eluded him like a fleeting dream.

A gentle knock interrupted the stillness, and Alexander's voice followed, "Your Highness, if you are awake, would you like to freshen up?"

With a voice weakened by his unrest, but still audible, Prince Oliver replied, "Yes."

As Alexander entered the room, a retinue of attendants trailed behind him, ready to tend to their prince's needs. With a subtle gesture, Alexander directed them to their tasks.

"Alexander, come here," Prince Oliver beckoned, his tone carrying a hint of command.

Approaching his prince, Alexander waited for his next instruction.

"Tell the attendants to leave once they have finished preparing things," Prince Oliver commanded.

Understanding his prince's wishes, Alexander nodded respectfully, "Understood, Your Highness."

Curiosity tugged at Prince Oliver's thoughts as he turned his attention to Alexander once more. "How many guards did Father send to monitor my chamber?" he inquired.

Alexander hesitated before replying, "Twenty."

Prince Oliver's smile twisted bitterly, his voice laced with sarcasm as he uttered, "Twenty guards? Does he truly believe I possess the courage to flee? He's not mistaken, but he knows the depths of my weakness-I couldn't defeat a single guard. What does he fear? Sending one or two would have sufficed to contain a feeble prince like me. But no, he sent twenty." His chuckle held a bitter edge, echoing the irony of his situation.

Alexander's tone held a calm assurance as he spoke, "Had he sent only one or two guards, defeating them would have been a simple task. With ten, I could have created a distraction to facilitate your escape. And now, with twenty, though the odds seem daunting, rest assured, Your Highness, I will do everything in my power to assist you, even if it means risking my own life. Your command is all I need."