chapter 65

He huffed before speaking again, "I'm better than them. Smarter... I'm better."

He sounded genuinely upset that someone might think they were on the same level as him. "That's why you are America's Nr.1, Leader of the Seven." I said, trying to cheer him up.

"You're right." He sighed.

"If soft and relatable is what keeps your popularity up, that's what vought will buy into." I added.

"And it's BS. I'm not a dog on a leash." He said frustrated. "But if I act out, they'll throw me out." He said with pressed lips and a clenched jaw.

"They couldn't. The seven is like their mascot group, and you are the leader. If they throw you out, they can just quit altogether. The people love you. Who would buy Vought products if there's no Homelander it would support?" I asked, and he stayed silent. "Exactly. Not one of those overconsuming shitheads."

He laughed. A sweet, happy laugh.
"You're right. Thank you, y/n." He said and put his hand on my arm.
His touch was soft even with the gloves on. As uf he'd read my mind, he took off his gloves and gently placed his warm hands on me.
I looked at his face and slowly placed my hand on his cheek. His eyes closed, and he leaned into my touch.
Soon enough, he pulled me into a soft hug. We stayed like that for who knows how long.

I felt him slwoly moving away from our embrace, his warmth leaving me.

"You are so different." He said again, and his brows furrowed.

"You keep saying that. But I can't tell if that is good or not." I said and laughed lightly.

"It's good. Fantastic even, I'd say." Homelander rushed out. "It's refreshsing when someone doesn't seem to lie or crawl up my ass." He added, and his brows furrowed again.

"Is it really that unusual?" I asked, almost apologetic.

Homelander nodded. "They fear me. Don't want to get into trouble ... or get lasered." He said and waited for a response.

I don't know where the sudded urge to flirt came from again, but the words slipped past my lips nonetheless. "I wouldn't mind getting lasered by you."

His eyes widened, and he raised his brows seemingly just as surprised by my answer as I was.

"And what's that supposed to mean
y/n?" He asked and put his hands behind his back.

"What do you think, sir?" I asked teasingly.