chapter 62

It felt like Homelander had turned up his own body heat to keep me warm. This time, at least. We landed elegantly. He hovered above the ground for me to get down first. Afterward, he fully stepped down as well.

"Just stay behind me. I'll handle this." He said and dramatically held my shoulders while telling me.
I did as he said and followed carefully with a bit of space between us.
We walked walk around a corner, and seemingly out of nowhere, two armed guys cornered a young man, threatening him with a knive.

"How about you give me that. You could get hurt." He said stern but friendly.

"Homelander!" One of them gasped with the other frowned deeply.

"The knives." He said and streched out his hand.

"If you want it so bad." The guy who had only frowned before said angrily snached his partners knive and charged at Homelander.

Homelander stepped aside, and the knife guy missed him, falling in the process.
"Pass me some rope, would you?" He directed to me.

Where would I get rope from? And just as I thought that, I saw his eyes dart to the belt around my waist. "Of course, Sir." I said and nodded, opening one of the larger pouches and retrieved a bit of rope. 'Crazy,' I thought and passed the rope to Homelander.

He tied up both of the men while I went over to the victim and tried to get some info.

"Aaand we're here! Live at the scene where Homelander has once more stepped in before disaster coule strike!" the reporter said as she approached.

Homelander talked to her, but then the cameraman shifted and focused on me. "Now. You gotta tell us, since when did you have a sidekick?" She asked eagerly while quickly walking over to me.

"Sidekick?" Homelander repeated as his smile flickered for a second. "I hadn't thought of red canary as a sidekick. But that sums it up, I think." He said and chuckled overly happy.

The reporter laughed. "And what do you need a sidekick for? Is Homelander in need of assistance?" She asked and smiled wickedly.

"Well, sometimes it's better to work as a team! Everyone could use some help every now and then. Even superheroes." He laughed and smiled kindly.

"So is red canary a new member of the seven then?" The reporter asked. "I didn't know there was a spot open!" She added quickly.

"There isn't. And the seven are still only seven. Sorry to say but my partner over here." He said and came over to me. "Is, like you said, *my* sidekick." He emphasized that sentence and put his hand on my shoulder.

"And what do you say to that Red Canary?" She asked me, but Homelander jumped in.

"I'm so sorry, but we have to get going. As lovley as it was talking with you guys!" He said and took hold of me. "And remember!" He added and looked to the guy we had saved, "You're the real hero here!" With that, the cameraman panned to the approaching cop cars, and we woshed away.