chapter 43

I walked to my apartment. My ears ringing, and my head spinning.

It wasn't even a second that I had closed the door behind me, that I heard it be ripped from its hinges.
"YOU don't get to walk out on ME! I'M THE HOMELANDER!" He raged as he  threw the door out into the corridor.

I didn't even know what to say. Complete shock had taken over my body, and I gave a shrill scream that had Homelander struggling. His eyes glowed red as he sank down to his knees. He held onto his head as if he was about to rip it off. I got back to reality and immediately shut my mouth. Homelander stayed down for another minute and then slowly stood back up.
"I'm sorry. Sir. You scared me." I mumbled while we stared at each others faces.

"I'll ...I'll send someone to fix your door." He said cautiously and left.

I made myself a cup of tea and sat down on my couch. Although I tried my best not to think too much about Homelander and his behavior, I couldn't help but wonder. Was I the first to have him unable to do anything? Down on his knees, unable to even look at me. He looked so surprised, almost bewildered, when he finally looked at me.

I drank my tea, lost in thought until there was a knock. I looked over at the hole where the door was missing. There stood a guy in overalls, his hand on the wall next to the door.

"Hey. I'm here to fix the door." He said awkwardly and started examining the doorframe and the door in the hallway.
"Yeah. No. Maybe tomorrow." The guy said quietly and started to leave.

"What? Ey wait!" I said loudly and ran after him. "What do you mean 'maybe tomorrow'?!" I asked, shocked.

"Look. The doorframe isn't even intact anymore. There are holes in the door and the wall where the hinges should be. This is too much for this late evening. First thing in the morning, okay?"

"Well, that sounds better than 'maybe tomorrow,' but can you at least whip up a provisorium or something?" I asked while we walked further away.

"That would only take up more time tomorrow when we fix the door. I mean, put it up. Put it down. Put new door in. That's so many extra steps." He groaned and shook his head. Then he stepped into the elevator. "The tower is safe. I don't think there's any need to worry about not having a door." He said as the doors closed.

"What an asshole." I said to myself and walked back to my apartment.