17. Lighter

Sitting on top of one of the largest towers in the city, you peered down on the third city of July. You kept your legs hung over the edge of black tower, kicking your feet lightly as you watched the bustling city. The stars shimmered in the sky as shades of blue, purple, and yellow covered the city. The was one of the many few times that Millions Knives would let you outside.

You watched the July military police guard the cities towers, ensuring random citizens wouldn't  walk into the restricted buildings. The smell of cigarette smoke filled the air, almost alerting you to your dark haired friend's presence. You felt the man sit on the ledge next to you, swinging one leg over the edge and sitting in the middle of the concrete.

"Kind of close to the edge there," he sighed, looking down at the certain death below. Turning your head away from the city, you found the cold, dark eyes that belonged to the Punisher. His usual sunglasses now pushed up onto his forehead, taking a few strands of his black hair with them.

"Hand me one," you demanded, pointing at the lit cigarette in between his fingers.

Reaching into the pocket of his jacket, he pulled out his pack of cigarettes. Handing the box to you, he reached into his pocket to find the lighter. You shook your hand at him, signlaing that you didn't need it.

"Hey smalls, maybe nows not a goo-" the Punisher started.

Interrupting him, you spoke with the cigarette between your lips,"Just watch". Focusing on your finger tip, you pulled hard into the energy in your core, searching for the small spark needed to light the cigarette. Taking you a few seconds, a burst of flames escaped from the top of your finger, lighting the cigarette more than you intended. You shook your finger, attempting to put out the flame coming from it.

Inhaling and coughing out the large puff of smoke, you spoke through each cough,"See...I did it."

A small smirk formed across the Punisher's face,"If you're not more careful, you're going to burn down the entire city". Offended, you lightly pushed his shoulder back, scoffing loudly.

"Why are you here?"

The Punisher scooted closer towards you and his curious gaze focused into yours. He slowly lifted his hand up close to your face, hesitating for a brief moment, he pushed a strand of hair behind your ear. Feeling your face burning, you quickly turned to face out to the city.

"The real reason, Punisher," you stated. Shocked at your unusual behavior, Nicholas rested his hand on your knee. Keeping your one hand in your lap, you took the cigarette from between your lips with your other hand. Using the cigarette, you gestured up towards the sky.

"They're watching," you reassured, trying to warn the dark haired man.

His eyes lightly grew before narrowing his gaze in annoyance. He understood that you were pointing out towards a green worm, a new friend of the Eyes. Turning your head towards the black haired man, you felt the back of your eyes sting. Millions Knives never really let you out, he was always watching.

"Hey, hey, don't worry. He didn't see you do it," Nicholas tried reassuring. Slowly shaking your head back and forth, the tears started streaming down your face. Afraid of what would happen, you sat and quietly cried, staring at the man.

"Nicholas, he will kill me for this," you mouthed.

Bringing one leg up, you felt your insides crumbling. Anxiety washing over you like a tidal wave, the shaking in your hands began to shake the cigarette still in your grasp. Slowly bringing the bud up to your lips, you inhaled sharply.