12. Reunited

Slowly opening your eyes, you turned towards the dark figure that stood in the small opening to the alleyway. 

"It's good to see you again, Punisher," you said with a sigh. You knew what was coming, either a rant about keeping your identity a secret or an all out brawl. Nerves began to build in your chest as the dark haired man started walking towards you. 

"What are you doing here," he growled at you. You could hear his grip around the straps of his giant cross tighten, and could barely see the expressions that painted his face as finally stepped in front of you. The only true light shining in the alleyway was the small light in his cigarette. 

Slowly standing up and dusting off the back of your pants, you began to explain,"You know I wouldn't have chosen to be here, you know how the Eyes are". The light of his cigarette burned with his inhale. 

He turned his face away from you as you tried to search his eyes for any emotion, any reassurance. Blowing the smoke to the side, he scoffed to himself. With your anxiety building you tried again, anger in your voice,"Please Nicholas, you know I wouldn't optionally be here. I shouldn't have to explain anything to you, you are the one with some-". 

Your rant was interrupted by the Punisher grabbing the collar of your top, staring dead into your eyes. He mumbled,"You have no idea how badly I wanted to go back". The dark haired man released his grip around the tight straps of the cross, letting the giant machinery fall to the floor.  Letting go of your collar, he wrapped both his arms around your head, making your head bury itself into his bare chest. 

Your hands close to your face, you clung to the black shirt as your eyes stung. You could feel his racing heartbeat on your hand and feel his fast breaths hit the top of your head. 

"I'm so sorry that I left you there smalls," he whispered shakily. I haven't heard that name in a long time. His release grew tighter as you buried your head further into his chest. He smelled of black amber, smokey campfire, and cigarettes. You felt the tension from your nerves release, your muscles relaxing as you let a small tear fall from your eye. 

He let go of your body, placing two hands on your shoulders to stare deep into your eyes. Sighing heavily he whispered,"They wouldn't let me in again, to see you. I tried everything, smalls, I really did". 

You nod your head in response, letting the priest look down at the sandy floor before taking his hands off your shoulders. 

"We have a lot to take about, Punisher," you stated with a smile. Looking at you he smiled, bending down to grab the giant cross of the floor. 

"That we do," he responded. 

You began walking out of the small alleyway, turning to see the priest standing behind you with another cold expression. 

"I assume they don't know about your past," you questioned. 

"No, so don't call me Punisher," he murmured. 

"Okay I won't say anything, as long you keep my identity a secret as well," you whispered back. The black haired man sighed, wrapping his arm on top of your shoulders, keeping up with your pace back to the group. 

"I told everyone I would help you, so act like I did something. I didn't know the old man was able to figure out that healing thing without the little blue vials".

"Yeah, I can tell you it isn't fun being the guinea pig for that discovery," you smirked, letting out a small chuckle. You saw the priest shake his head and laugh to himself out of the corner of your eye. 

Taking his arm off from around your shoulders, he questions you again,"Why exactly are you here smalls? Are the Eyes growing impatient with their delivery".