Chapter Fifty-Two (Eliza)

CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

ELIZA

The first thing Altheos did when he returned to my prison was demand that I heal him. A healing chant came easily to me, so I took care of him. He was pleased by my cooperation, and he promised if I kept it up, everything would be fine. I knew better than to believe him.

Now, as I stood beside him in what I knew was the big battle we'd been preparing for, I was nervous. I'd written several chants and spells for him that, on the surface, would help him. Each one contained a subtle flawed element, however, and that should keep things from tipping too far in his favor.

"Eliza..." Apollo whispered, making my chest ache. All I wanted was to run into his arms, but I had to stay with Altheos... Otherwise, my plan would fall apart.

"Liz!" Krissy cried. "Get away from her, Leo!"

"Please, I prefer my true name, Rydia," Altheos replied. "I miss hearing you call me Theos."

"Too freaking bad," she replied.

Leo is his mortal shell, I realized. On some level, that name keeps him from accessing his full powers.

"Eliza is with us, where she belongs," Viktor said.

Jack teleported beside them. "And so am I," he said. "I always wanted to prove I was worthy of your attention, Dad. This is my chance, right?"

Viktor smiled at him. "I'm proud of you, Jackson," he replied. "I knew you would see that this is the only correct path."

"You must prove your loyalty, Vincenzo," Altheos said firmly. "Last time didn't end well for you."

"Yeah, which is why I won't risk turning on you guys again," Jack replied. "I'm not looking to die again. I was an idiot to betray you... We were friends, Theos. It was wrong to turn on you, but the Gods got in my head and I believed Chaos was the enemy... It was never about you."

"Go on," Altheos encouraged him.

"You were the only person who ever saw me, Theos. I could never betray you. I was just afraid of what Chaos would do to us all. I should have trusted that you knew what you were doing."

I was relieved Jack was so convincing. We hadn't had long to go over his part in the plan before I sent him to rescue Krissy.

Altheos considered Jack's words carefully.

Pretty apologies you'll believe, question not what he said. Beautiful lies as good as you weave, no doubt at all shall enter your head, I silently chanted.

It wasn't my best work, but I didn't have time to make the chant beautiful. The intent behind the chant mattered more than the actual words. It was effective, and that was what counted.

"I believe you, Vincenzo," Altheos said. "I will give you a second chance to fight beside me."

I was relieved, but I kept that to myself. I watched as Viktor stepped forward. No trace of my father was left except for his body. He'd completely shed his facade, and that was terrifying.

"Surrender now, old friends," Viktor said to everyone else, "or face the consequences."

"Or, Option C, we kick all of your butts and go out for pizza and soda afterward," Krissy replied defiantly.

"I like Option C," Faith agreed.

"Me, too," Jenna chimed in.

"I could eat!" Vanessa declared.