Chapter Fifty-One (Artemis)

CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

ARTEMIS

I barely caught Faith as she collapsed. Her flesh was scalding hot. "Faith!" I cried in alarm.

I scooped her up and carried her from the room, not caring who or what we encountered. I could feel the last of her life force draining out of her.

Not again, I thought. I refused to lose her, especially when she'd used all of her strength to save my life.

"Stay with me," I begged her. "Just hold on a little bit longer."

I raced through the dark hallway, not sure where I was heading. Apollo, I thought. I feel Apollo. He can save Faith as long as I make it to him in time.

"Artemis! Where are you?" Apollo's voice echoed through the hall.

"Here!" I shouted. "We're over here! Faith's down!"

Relief flooded through me as my twin rushed toward me. He glowed just enough to make it easier to see. I noticed the cavalry behind him.

"Faith used her life force to restore mine and burn venom out of me," I explained. "It was Genie, her roommate. She's-"

"Theos's daughter," Apollo replied.

"You had a vision?"

"Baby Doll told us Genie betrayed you. We figured out the rest." He looked at Faith. "Give her to me," he said.

I released Faith into my brother's arms, but I didn't let go of her hand. I was determined to hold onto her and keep her with me until she was stable.

Apollo focused and began to glow brighter. I knew he was channeling the Sun's light and using it to try to restore Faith's energy. "Come on, little fire starter," he said soothingly. "Come back to us."

Vanessa clung to Billy. She looked like she might cry. Emily watched with a stoic, detached expression on her face as Jake held her. Jenna was visibly holding back tears. Even Krissy, who always knew how to lighten the mood, looked like she was about to start sobbing any second.

Prometheus knelt beside us. "Let me help," he said. "I blessed this child. I am not letting her go without a fight."

"By all means," Apollo replied.

Prometheus manifested Fire in his hands. He focused, charging it with energy before shoving it into Faith's chest.

Faith inhaled sharply but didn't wake up. "It's working," Apollo said. "I should be able to heal her now." He began focusing all of his attention on Faith again.

After a few moments that felt like millennia, Faith's eyes fluttered open. She smirked at Apollo and asked, "What did I miss?"

I pulled Faith out of Apollo's arms and into mine. The first thing I did was kiss her.

"Finally," Aphrodite said, causing me to notice her presence.

"Don't ever do that again!" I scolded Faith as I released her. "You could have died, Faith! What were you thinking?"

"That I love you, Gorgeous," she replied. "And that I wasn't letting my consort die."

Aphrodite squealed in delight. "I can make that official," she said, "if Artemis is willing to declare the same."

"This is not the time for frivolous romantic rituals," I replied.

"It's not about romance, Artemis," Emily said. "It's about joining your power together to become stronger. This is the best way to protect each other and become united in battle."