Chapter Thirty-One (Eliza)

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

ELIZA

I didn't want to get up that morning. If I did, everything would become real. I knew my mother was dead, but attending her memorial was different from simply knowing she was gone.

Krissy gently coaxed me out of bed. I went through the motions on autopilot, showering, getting dressed, and accepting a bit of cereal from Abby that I don't remember eating.

Hecate and Hades, disguised as funeral directors, had planned the memorial for me, handling the details and trying to come up with something I'd approve of. I was blown away by that kind gesture. As we arrived at the funeral home, I took them aside.

"Thank you for this," I said. "I didn't even know where to start."

"I was very fond of Kleia, Eliza," Hades replied. "That alone is reason enough for me to assist you. Besides, death is my specialty, and I rarely get the opportunity to wear a suit." He offered me a slight smile.

"I guided her soul to the Underworld," Hecate added. "I sensed she was lost and needed help. She is safe now."

I fought back tears. "Thank you," I said softly.

"Go inside now," Hecate said soothingly.

I walked into the room where there would normally be a viewing. My mother's body was still in the Medical Examiner's office. I'd decided it was best to hold her service quickly and bury her later, privately.

Instead of gathering around a casket, a beautiful portrait of my mother was at the front of the room. The portrait was surrounded by other smaller pictures from our home. There were a lot of pictures of her alone or with her friends. There were several of her with her parents. There were a couple of pictures of her with me. For obvious reasons, no pictures of her with my father had been included.

As people started to come in, Krissy took my hand and refused to let it go. Abby stood with us, trying to keep me from getting swarmed by the mourners who had come out to remember my mom. The other girls from Iridescence came to support me. They stayed within my sight without coming too close. Apollo had come with Hermes. Artemis was outside with some of the deities watching for trouble.

Addison had come as my social worker. She sat with Vanessa and a boy I assumed was Billy, but she watched me closely, waiting for any sign that I needed help.

A sea of "I'm sorry for your loss" washed over the room, one face blurring into another, all saying the same cliche words and phrases until they became meaningless.

After an hour of friends, acquaintances, and strangers parading their way through the room, all focused on me, I couldn't take it anymore. Kids who'd never spoken to me in school had shown up just to watch the circus. They knew my mom had been murdered and that was exciting, so they suddenly wanted to talk to me. Their condolences were clearly an afterthought, something they knew they were supposed to say in these situations even though they hadn't known either of us. I was becoming extremely overwhelmed.

"I need a minute," I told Krissy and Abby. I slipped away while they distracted everyone else.

I raced to the farthest room I could find, where no one was hanging around. I pressed my back to the wall and started to cry as I slid down to the ground. I hugged my knees to my chest and tried to calm down, but it was no use.

Someone came into the room after a couple of minutes. The person knelt beside me, keeping a bit of distance between us, and passed me a box of tissues.

I blew my nose and looked up. "Leo," I said softly. I wasn't surprised he'd come. Most of his friends had at least put in an appearance, including Kevin. I didn't trust most of their motives, but Leo and I were friends. I didn't mind his presence.