Chapter Twenty-Five (Faith)

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

FAITH

I was full of rage. In fact, in that moment, rage was basically all I had left. As we arrived at the sanctuary, I helped Apollo lift Liana out of the van.

"We can bury her here and return her to the Earth without any unnatural chemicals within her," Artemis said. "The shell she leaves behind will nourish the Earth as her spirit moves on."

I sighed. "I don't know how I feel about that, but going green is good, right?" I replied. "And it's that or I burn her... And I don't want to do that."

"Help me prepare her," Artemis said. She produced a bowl of water and a wash cloth. I had no idea where they came from. Apollo politely turned away as Artemis began to gently wash Liana's face.

"Why are we cleaning her up?" I asked softly as I took a second wash cloth and helped clean Liana's body.

"This act was traditional in Ancient Greece. It's a way to cleanse her of what happened, and it's also a sign of respect," Artemis replied. She began singing a mournful song softly as she continued to cleanse Liana's body. I was surprised by how beautiful her voice was. I suspected she didn't sing in public often. Her brother was the God of Music, not her. Still, her voice was the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard.

We worked together, and soon, Liana was clean. Clean, but still dead. It didn't make me feel much better, but it still felt like we'd done the right thing.

Artemis anointed Liana's body with oil before placing a wreath on her chest. I watched as she pulled out a small silver coin. "This is Charon's obol," she explained. "It's used to pay the ferryman who guides the dead to the Underworld." She carefully placed the coin inside of Liana's mouth before gently closing it.

Somehow, that made it all feel more real. I looked at my friend and realized this was it. She was actually dead. We were sending her on to whatever came next. I took a deep breath and forced myself to remain strong even though part of me wanted to cry.

You don't get to cry, I thought. Not now. Not here. And not until this battle ends. Only then can you stop and grieve.

Artemis touched the ground. "Persephone," she said. "I require your assistance."

A hole opened in the earth. I watched in fascination as the dirt moved aside. Artemis looked at me and said, "If you wish to say something, do it now."

"I love you, Liana," I said softly. "Thank you for being the best almost-sister anyone could have asked for. I promise you, he won't get away with this." I touched her forehead a final time.

Apollo and Artemis nodded at each other, seemingly communicating silently. Apollo began chanting in what I assume was Ancient Greek. Artemis chanted something complimentary. Their words wove together, creating a perfect song. I felt their blessings in the air as they gently moved Liana into the hole.

Liana's body would be safe. No predator, human or animal, would be able to get near her. Somehow, I understood that was what their chants were meant to do. The energy they raised brought me a small amount of peace.

You don't deserve peace, I scolded myself. You shouldn't have peace until she has been avenged.

I was confused, feeling disconnected from my own thoughts. It was almost as if I wasn't the one thinking them, like I was both myself and someone else simultaneously... And that someone else was really pissed off, and really intense.

"This maiden has fallen," Artemis said in English, which snapped me back into awareness. "May she be safely wrapped in the arms of the Earth Mother."

The ground mended itself, covering Liana's body and making it look as if a hole had never been there at all. Hundreds of flowers grew before my eyes, weaving together in a beautiful pattern as they bloomed.