Chapter Twenty-Six (Jenna)

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

JENNA

Since it was the weekend, I went out for my usual morning run a little later than usual. I still couldn't believe what had happened to Eliza's mom. My heart broke for her. My family meant the world to me. I couldn't imagine losing any of them.

Running always cleared my head. I was hoping I'd be able to relax or at least calm my nerves as I lost myself in the rhythm and the physical release of the thoughts racing through my mind.

I ran as fast and hard as I could. I ran until my muscles ached and my chest burned. When I reached the park, I jogged in place as I took a few sips of water, opening my lungs back up and giving me the strength to continue.

I was very surprised when I spotted Vanessa at the park, standing near the lake. Normally, I didn't let anything interrupt my runs, but I stopped and stood beside her as she stared at the water.

"You're out early, Vanessa," I said. "Is everything okay?"

Vanessa jumped as I arrived. "Oh! Hey, Jenna," she greeted me. Her eyes looked uncharacteristically sad as she studied me.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I just keep thinking about what happened with Eliza's parents," she replied. "It's so unfair... And I'm worried about my mom. I can't be the reason she's in danger."

"I get it. I feel the same way about my family."

"I'm scared," she admitted. "I know we're supposed to be Goddesses, but right now, I don't feel like some big, brave deity... I feel like a scared little kid who just wants to wrap my arms around my mom and never let her go."

"It's okay to be scared, Ness," I replied. "I'm scared, too. I think we all are. What makes us brave is facing that fear and still doing what we have to."

She nodded. "Right. And that's what we're going to do," she decided.

The sound of a struggle got our attention then. We exchanged a glance before rushing toward the woods. That's where we found Emily. She had her dagger out and was battling against an army of soldiers from Ancient Greece.

"Emily!" Vanessa cried.

"They're ghosts with bodies!" Emily shouted back. "Don't feel bad about attacking them, just do it!"

I immediately started fighting back. I had enough Martial Arts training that hand-to-hand combat came naturally to me, but I summoned my javelin for extra help. Emily continued slashing at the ghosts with her dagger, striking them down. Vanessa closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she opened them, a winged horse appeared. She climbed onto the horse's back and took to the sky, sending blasts of energy toward the ghosts that seemed to freeze them in place. This made it much easier for Emily to strike them down.

As Emily was distracted, Vanessa noticed the same thing I did. "Look out!" She shouted.

"Behind you, Emily!" I added.

Just as Emily was about to be attacked, a sword came out of the ghost's chest. An emo boy pulled out the sword and smiled at Emily.

"I'm going to tell Hades you suck as a bodyguard," Emily informed him.

"I like to make an entrance," he replied.

"Get lost, Jake. I don't need you here."

As Jake impaled another ghost, he said, "I know you can handle yourself, Pumpkin, but I figured I'd back you up anyway."

"You've been MIA since you enrolled in school with us.."

"That's not true. I've been watching, but you haven't seen me."