Chapter Twenty-Three (Eliza)

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

ELIZA

Nothing felt real. As the police came into the house, Apollo took charge, guiding them to my mother's body. Two of the officers remained outside to keep my neighbors from disrupting the scene.

"Liz! What's going on?" Krissy demanded.

I looked at the officers at the door. "Please... I need them," I said.

The female officer took pity on me. "Go up to your bedroom," she said. "We'll send a detective up to speak with you in a few minutes."

I headed upstairs. Krissy's eyes widened with horror at the bloody crime scene before she followed me. Abby was right behind us.

"Are you hurt, sweetheart?" Abby asked me.

"No," I replied. I couldn't exactly tell her that Apollo had healed me.

"Liz, talk to us. What happened?" Krissy asked.

"My parents were arguing... My dad tried to take me, and when my mom tried to stop him, he..." I shook my head. I started crying again.

"Oh God... He did this?" Abby asked in horror.

I nodded. "Liz... Oh my Gods..." Krissy whispered as she hugged me tightly. She wrapped the soothing energy of Water around me. It was comforting, but nothing could possibly make me feel better in that moment.

The detective walked into the room then. He had a woman with him. "Hello, Eliza," he said. "My name is Detective Banks. This is Addison Fields. She's a social worker." He paused, looking at Abby and Krissy.

"I'm her best friend and neighbor, Krissy Berry," Krissy said, "and I'm not leaving. Neither is my Aunt Abby."

"You can stay for now if it makes Eliza more comfortable," Detective Banks promised. "Did either of you hear anything?"

"We heard arguing earlier, but that's honestly not unusual," Abby admitted.

"You didn't hear me screaming?" I asked softly.

"I'm so sorry, honey. We must have had the television up too high. Oh, God, I wish I'd known... I wish I'd come over to check on you..."

"It's not your fault, Abby," I said quickly. I didn't know why, but I had a feeling my father had used magic to soundproof the house during the attack.

"Eliza, can you tell us what happened?" Detective Banks asked.

I took a deep breath, but the words refused to come out. "Take your time, sweetheart," Addison said. Her presence was extremely comforting, although I wasn't quite sure why. She took my hands in hers and added, "Just tell us what you remember."

I started to explain everything. I certainly couldn't tell them this all came down to a battle of deities, so I had to be careful how much I said.

"When my dad tried to take me, my mother tried to stop him. That's when things turned violent," I said, my voice shaking. "I couldn't stop him... It's my fault!" I blurted out.

"It is not, Liz," Krissy said firmly.

"My mom was just trying to protect me... If she hadn't done that, she'd still be alive..."

"Your mother died a hero," Addison said soothingly. "Because of her actions, you're safe."

"Do you have any relatives we can call, Eliza?" Detective Banks asked.

"No," I replied. "I don't have anyone but my parents..."

"You have us," Abby replied firmly. She turned toward Detective Banks and Addison and added, "She practically lives with us anyway. She spends more time at our house than she spends here. I'd be more than happy to take her in."