Chapter Thirty-Eight (Krissy)

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

KRISSY

We worked pretty hard during training that night. I was starting to feel confident that we were nearly ready to face whatever Altheos wanted to throw our way. Della and Darrell walked Eliza and I back to the house and took their positions outside as we headed into the house.

"Abby, we're home!" I called.

She didn't answer, but that wasn't too much cause for alarm. "Maybe she's in her art studio?" Eliza suggested. It wouldn't be the first time my aunt had gotten lost in a project and tuned out the rest of the world.

We headed upstairs, but Abby was nowhere to be found. "Something's wrong," Eliza said as we realized she wasn't in the kitchen or the basement or anywhere else. "Abby should be home."

"I'm sure she's fine," I replied, because any other possibility was unacceptable.

"Kris... Something's wrong," Eliza insisted.

"Speaking as a concerned member of the family, or as an Oracle?" I asked.

"Both. I can feel it. The energy of the house feels... Off. Like someone's been here. I sense a presence lingering. I sense..." She hesitated.

"Just tell me, Liz," I said.

She took a deep breath before she said, "Someone took her, Krissy. Someone kidnapped Abby."

My heart dropped into my stomach as I tried to process that. "Did you have a vision?" I asked.

"Not exactly... I just have flashes in my mind... She was standing in the door talking to someone... She didn't feel threatened. She let him come into the house, and when she turned her back, he knocked her out with a spell."

"Did he hurt her?" I demanded.

"I don't think so," Eliza replied. "He took her somewhere else..."

I asked what I was terrified to ask. "Was it Theos?"

She nodded. "I think so... It felt like him... I'm sorry, Krissy."

"Why are you sorry? You didn't kidnap my aunt. You have no reason to be sorry, but when I find him, he's going to be extremely sorry."

"We should call the others."

"There's no time. Come with me. We're going to get my aunt back."

"Krissy, we can't do this alone. It's a trap."

I knew she was right. "Call them," I agreed, "but we're going now. Della and Darrell can come with us. We'll be fine."

We headed out of the house. I tensed as I realized I didn't see Eliza's bodyguards anywhere. "Liz... Your bodyguards are missing, too," I said in concern. "If you want to stay here and wait for backup, I understand."

"No," she said after a moment. "Abby's family, Krissy. She might not have much time left. We'll go ahead and see if we can figure out where she is, then let the others know where we are. I'm hoping we'll sense her when we get closer." She paused before adding, "We should tell Ares his kids went missing, though."

"Let's worry about upsetting the God of War after we find my aunt," I decided.

We started to search the area. I had no idea what we were looking for, but something kept moving me forward, guiding me to Abby. I was determined to follow it.

"Here!" I said suddenly. We were near an office building.

"Okay, let me call Jenna," Eliza said. She was about to make the call when the ground began to shake. To my horror, a hole opened up and swallowed her as she let out a scream.