Chapter Thirty-Five (Faith)

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

FAITH

I walked with purpose, somehow positive I knew exactly where to go. There was no logical reason for that, but it was the truth. Something was leading me to the man who'd been watching me.

It probably is a trap, I thought, but it didn't matter. I needed to do this.

I ended up all the way by Pigeon Meadow Road. I'd always thought that was an odd name for a street, especially one that led to the cemetery I was about to enter. Now, I hoped pigeons were the only threat I'd encounter there. I hopped the fence and continued to follow my instincts.

I found my way deeper into the cemetery. A large tree loomed over several graves and a mausoleum. Standing against the mausoleum was the man who'd been watching me. His Greek tragedy mask seemed appropriate set against the backdrop of a cemetery.

"Who are you?" I demanded.

He studied me for a moment, but he didn't answer my question. Instead, he said, "You shouldn't be here."

"Says the guy who's hanging out by himself in a cemetery late at night," I retorted.

"You aren't safe here, Faith. Not at this hour."

The way he said my name was too familiar. "How do you know me?" I asked.

"That's not important."

"The Hell it's not."

"Go home, Faith."

"Creepy cult members in masks don't get to tell me what to do."

He sighed like it was taking a lot out of him to put up with me. "You don't belong here. Please leave."

"Well, since you asked politely... No."

"Faith Candice Edwards, you are as stubborn as ever!" He said in frustration, but he chuckled after the fact like I had amused him.

I stared at him, too stunned to speak for a moment. "How the hell do you know my middle name?" I finally demanded. "Are you stalking me?"

"I have known your middle name since the day you were born, Firefly."

I felt like someone injected ice water into my veins. "What did you just call me?" I managed to ask.

"What I've always called you, Firefly," he replied.

I couldn't believe what I was thinking. "Take off your mask," I demanded.

"Faith-"

"Take off your mask!" I repeated furiously.

He slowly removed his mask. Time had aged him a little bit, but I still recognized him. "Uncle Deacon?" I whispered in disbelief.

"It's me, Firefly," he confirmed.

The world tilted sideways. I nearly collapsed, but Deacon steadied me.

"You're real..." I mumbled as he touched me.

"Easy, Firefly. Take a deep breath," he said soothingly.

"You died," I said.

"It's complicated."

"Complicated? You're dead, Deacon! Legally dead! Your bedroom was destroyed in the fire. You burned to nothing but ash. You can't be here." I shook my head.

"They saved me, Firefly. The fire started in my room, but they pulled me from the flames and saved my life."

"Who did?" I demanded.