Chapter Twenty (Vanessa)

CHAPTER TWENTY

VANESSA

Finding Morpheus was easy for me. Once Emily brought us into the dream realm, all I had to do was focus and I was able to lead us straight to him.

He looked startled to see us. "Girls... How have you come into my realm physically? Are you alright?" He asked.

"Emily opened a door into the realm," I explained eagerly. Part of me wanted to fling myself into the safety of his arms, but I knew I had to wait until he understood.

"Emily... Did you use a spell?" Morpheus asked.

"No," she replied. "I don't need one."

"I'm afraid I do not understand."

Emily moved closer to him. "I don't know how to tell you this... Morpheus, we were your daughters."

He tensed. "My children are dead. What you say is impossible," he replied sharply.

Emily looked into his eyes and said something in what sounded like Ancient Greek. He stared at her.

"Anastasia..." He whispered.

"What did you say to him?" I asked.

" 'Impossible is not a word for the one who runs the dream realm'," Emily replied. " 'All things are possible in dreams'... He used to say that to Ana all the time."

"I don't remember enough about Thea to make you believe me, but... Hi, Dad!" I said cheerfully before I hugged him.

He looked into my eyes and smiled sadly. "My Theadora... There is no mistaking you. How did I not see this before?" He asked.

"Her soul was dormant, but it's starting to stir," Emily replied. "And mine is almost fully awake. I remember nearly everything."

Morpheus wrapped his arms around us both. Surprisingly, Emily allowed it. "My daughters... How have you returned to me?" He asked softly.

"We come from you," Emily replied. "Part of our souls are made of the dream realm. That energy was reincarnated into new souls."

"Your souls were interconnected to your brother. You three shared a destiny. If you are back..." Morpheus began.

"Ly is, too," Emily confirmed. "We just have to find him."

"If we're awakening, he should be, too," I said. "Can you find him in his dreams, Dad?"

"That is complicated, my sweet Star Child," Morpheus replied. "Lysander's power shields his mind. Even I have extreme difficulty slipping into his subconscious unless he allows it."

"So how do we keep him safe?" I asked.

"With great effort."

"Don't worry, Vanessa," Emily said. "Ly doesn't know how to do anything small. Once he awakens, he'll be easy to find."

"Your sister is right about that," Morpheus said. "I suspect your brother will be easier to find than either of you were." He paused before saying, "Shouldn't you girls be in school?"

"We ditched our last couple of classes to come see you," I admitted. "Apollo told us Emily could open a door to your realm, so we decided to try it."

"Then you may as well stay until it is time to meet the others. Come... We have much to discuss," he said.

We spoke for a long time. I could tell Morpheus was emotional, but he hid it well and remained fairly stoic.

When it was time to go train, Morpheus brought us there himself. Other than Artemis, we were the first to arrive.