Chapter Thirteen (Vanessa)

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

VANESSA

I was awake when I felt something calling to me. This time was different. It wasn't one of the girls, and I had a feeling the person wasn't calling to me on a conscious level. Whoever it was, they weren't aware I could feel them. I shrugged and decided I'd better check it out.

I fell asleep quickly. As soon as I found myself in the dream realm, I knew something was wrong. I hurried toward the energy, hoping I could help.

I found myself in complete darkness. I should have been scared, but I sensed something oddly familiar nearby. I headed deeper into the darkness and heard the sound of someone sobbing quietly.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Who's there?" A boy replied. He sounded shaky and terrified.

"I'm Vanessa," I said soothingly. "Don't be scared. I'm here to help you. What's your name?"

He hesitated for a moment. I could hear him trying to calm his breathing down a bit before he answered me. "Billy," he finally replied.

"Billy, why are you so upset?" I asked gently.

"It's nothing," he replied quickly.

"You can talk to me."

"About what?"

"About anything."

He seemed to consider this for a bit. "I'm not much of a talker," he said.

"Okay," I replied. "I can talk enough for the both of us. Let's see... I'm a theater kid. I love musicals and plays in general. I live in Queens, so Broadway's only a subway ride away."

"I think I live in Queens, too," he said softly.

"Isn't it great?"

"I... I guess. I don't get out much."

The boy was certainly different, but I was drawn to him. Everything in me wanted to help him feel better, so I kept talking. "I really love the Arts... And the night sky. Do you ever look up at it and just dream?"

"My dreams are nightmares."

"You should watch the stars dance. It helps, trust me."

"I'm not allowed to leave here."

I paused. "Where are we?" I asked.

"My home."

"It's so dark here... Don't you have any windows?"

"No... I just live in the darkness."

He sounded incredibly sad. I was so desperate to comfort him I reached through the darkness and hugged him. He flinched away like he expected me to hit him, but after a minute of me refusing to let go, he relaxed into the hug.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm hugging you," I replied.

"I've never experienced this before... It feels nice."

"You've never been hugged before?" I asked in horror.

"No... At least, not in a long time. I don't remember ever feeling this..."

"Well then, I'll just have to come back and hug you every night," I decided. "Everyone should be hugged at least once a day."

"I think I'd like that, Vanessa," he replied softly.