Chapter Thirty-Nine (Jenna)

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

JENNA

I knew something was wrong. Not only was Eliza not picking up her phone, but I could feel it in my gut. I'd called the other girls to meet up with me, but I had also called Lucky. I figured having the extra help couldn't hurt.

I was mildly surprised when Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, and Ares showed up. Ares looked like he was ready to start a war, and not just for kicks this time.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked.

"I had a vision," Apollo explained. "Eliza's hurt... And Krissy's in very bad shape."

I could tell how terrified Apollo was. Hermes looked almost as frantic. "I'm not losing my daughter again," Hermes said.

"We'll find them," Artemis said with determination.

"Did you bring Ares to be extra muscle?" Faith asked.

"Darrell and Della are missing," Ares replied in an annoyed tone. "This is personal."

"Do you know where they are, Apollo?" Vanessa asked.

"I can feel Eliza," he replied. "I think Krissy's in a different location. I can't sense her."

"Is she... Is she dead?" Lucky asked.

"No," Emily replied firmly. "I'd feel it if she was."

"I believe Krissy lives," Apollo agreed, "but she is critically wounded. If Theos decides to kill her, she won't be able to defend herself. For whatever reason, he is currently keeping her alive."

"She was his closest friend," Hermes said, shaking his head. "They were constantly having adventures together... I trusted him with my daughter because he was practically my brother, and look what happened..."

"Hermes, it wasn't your fault," Apollo said soothingly. "None of us ever suspected he was a monster."

"I did," I said softly. "I mean, Alexia did. She should have told someone... But she was positive no one would believe her without evidence."

"The past doesn't matter," Ares snapped. "We can't change it, but we can get it right now. We know what he is. We won't be fooled again."

We arrived at a seemingly abandoned building. I tried the door. "It's locked," I said.

Faith smirked and said, "I've got this." She immediately began to pick the lock.

"Do I want to know why you know how to do that?" Artemis asked.

"Hey, a foster kid needs to pick up unique life skills sometimes," Faith replied with a laugh. "Liana taught me," she added a bit softer. "She spent a lot of time on the streets when she'd run away. If it was cold, she'd break into places to stay warm overnight."

Artemis put a gentle hand on Faith's back. I could see the way this comforted Faith and gave her strength. The door opened and Faith smiled at us triumphantly.

"This way," Apollo said. He began leading us through the building toward a door. It led to a dark stairwell. "Eliza's down here," he informed us. His skin seemed to glow faintly in the darkness, providing us with a small amount of light.

Vanessa was visibly nervous, and I noticed stars starting to appear around her. Every time she took a step, a constellation lingered behind her for a couple of seconds. Emily took her hand. This seemed to calm Vanessa's nerves a bit.

Ares nearly attacked as a figure jumped out of the shadows. I grabbed his arm to stop him as I realized the figure was armed with only a paintbrush.

"Abby!" I said in relief. "Are you alright?"