Chapter Forty-Five (Vanessa)

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

VANESSA

I was plunged into complete darkness. The only comfort as I fell was the fact that Billy's arms were wrapped protectively around me. I clung to him, screaming as we plummeted toward the ground.

We landed hard, but I felt no pain as Billy shifted and took the impact with his back. He was still holding onto me tightly as he groaned in pain.

As much as I didn't want to leave his arms, I rolled off of him and ended up beside him on the ground. "Are you okay?" I asked.

"I think so," Billy replied. "Are you?"

"Thanks to you." I stood up and reached for him, illuminating the darkness with stars above our heads as I helped him get back on his feet.

"Where are we?" Billy asked as he looked around.

"I'm not sure," I admitted.

"Is anyone else with us? Apollo, Eliza, and Baby Doll were right near us."

"I don't think they came with us, but I heard Eliza screaming..." I shook my head and tried to stay positive. "I'm sure she's okay."

Billy took my hand and squeezed it to comfort me. I smiled at him. "Come on," he said. "Let's find our way back to everyone."

We began walking through the darkness. Even my stars could only light our way so much. Wherever we were, it was not a place meant for the light.

"Vanessa, wait," Billy said suddenly. He moved in front of me as if he was protecting me from some unseen threat.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"There's something in the shadows."

I tensed, but I didn't see anything. "What is it?" I asked nervously.

"Trouble," Billy replied cryptically.

A figure strode toward us through the darkness then. She had a large, curvy body and was dressed in very provocative clothing. She wore more jewelry than I'd ever seen on one woman. Every finger had two or three rings on it, her arms were covered in gold bracelets, her ears had multiple earrings in them, and she wore several gaudy necklaces she had layered perfectly. Her face was covered in excessive makeup, but there was an unusual beauty to her features beneath all of that.

"Kakia," Billy said softly.

Why is that name so familiar? I wondered. And how does Billy know her?

"Hello, children," Kakia greeted us. Her smile and tone were deceptively friendly, but I sensed the threat beneath her facade. "It's so lovely to see you in the shadow realm."

"Leave us alone," Billy said with more confidence than he'd ever displayed before.

"You haven't even heard my offer, Nyght."

I'd told Billy who his original soul was, but it wasn't unlocked. His powers had defended him against his father, but he had no memories of Nyght and didn't know how to control his gifts.

"I don't want to," he replied. "You're trying to trick us."

"You remember me," Kakia said with delight. "But I would never trick you, Nyght. You're family."

"Family?" I asked him.

"She was Nyght's mom," he said.

I stared at him in surprise. "How do you know that?" I asked.

"It came to me when she got close to us."

"Nyght never talked about his mother. His father was bad enough," I remembered. "I didn't even know who she was."