Ch. 14: On the Run

Moments after you and Catnap leave his place, the police start to show up. Catnap took you with him just in time. It was five minutes later that police showed up. The sheriff knocks hard on the door and says, "Catnap! Come out with your hands up! We know you have the girl!" Nothing.

He knocks harder and yells, "This is your final warning, Catnap! We're going to break the door down! Surrender and bring the girl out!" Still nothing. He yells, "Let's get him!!" He and another police officer kick the door in and they run inside. 

They search around the place and they look in every room. Afterwards, another officer looks at the sheriff and says, "Sir. There doesn't seem to by any sign of them in this house." The sheriff says, "Dammit. He must've escaped and took her with him." He gets in Catnap's bedroom and he sees a photo on the nightstand. He picks it up and he sees a photo of what looks to be you and Catnap during your high school days.

He says, "Looks like they were high school sweethearts. Looks like it was taken about a decade ago. They're young." Another officer walks over and sees for himself saying, "It's a damn shame, huh sir?" 

He says, "I'd hate to say it... But something tells me that she wanted to leave with him." The other officer looks at him. The sheriff says, "We need to get moving. Find any trace of Catnap. Let's move."

They head out of the room and they all head out of the house. They see that Dog Day had showed up. He and Vicky both. They have your parents with them. Your parents get out of the car and they run to the officers. Your mom says, "Where is she?! Is our daughter in there?!" Your dad holds her close.

The sheriff says, "I'm afraid not, Mrs. (L/N)." She gasps and she says, "My god! My baby!" She sobs. Your dad looks at him and says, "Dog Day was telling me Catnap is behind this." The sheriff says, "I'm sorry to tell you two, but Catnap and your daughter made off and possibly left. We'll do what we can to find them." He backs away and he yells, "Boys! Let's get moving!" They head inside their cars and they take off.

One female police officer happened to stay behind. She's asking your parents questions of what they know. She says, "Mr and Mrs. (L/N). If you could, could you describe what Catnap was like when you met him?" 

Your dad says, "He was a decent bloke when we met him. He was great with our little girl." Your mom says, "He was a handsome young man, too. Sure, he was different from his other friends, but I thought... Well, he's young and rebellious like most teenagers were when they went to school. It was the 80s when they went." 

The female officer says, "Did they or do they share a favorite song of theirs?" Your dad says, "Yeah. From what I can remember, it was What About Love by Heart. That was their song. (Y/N) would play it a lot up in her room. She really loved the boy." 

After all the questions the female officer says, "Thank you for your time, Mr and Mrs. (L/N). We'll do what we can to try and find Catnap and bring him to justice. Bring (Y/N) back in safe hands." Your mom says, "Thank you, officer..." The officer says, "Jenny. Officer Jenny." (Yes. I went there. XD) Your dad says, "Thank you very much." She leaves. 

Your dad sighs and says, "Oh boy... Her too." Your mom says, "Once they find (Y/N), we'll tell her the truth of how she got here in the first place." Your dad says, "You're right, honey. We can't hide it from her, anymore. She needs to know." They walk to Dog Day's car.

They get in the backseat and Dog Day says, "Any luck?" Your dad sighs and says, "No. Turns out they escaped." Vicky says, "Ah shit. Now they're on the run. Possibly leaving Baltimore." Dog Day says, "Awe, man. We were close to getting (Y/N) back." Your dad sighs and says, "Let's go, Dog Day mate." Dog Day sighs and nods. He starts the car and he takes off, taking Vicky and your parents with him.

********************************************************

Meanwhile, you and Catnap managed to make it out of Baltimore city limits. You're sitting up front with him while he drives down the road. The radio is playing Longview by Green Day. He says, "We did it, Kitten. We got out of there." 

You look at him and you say, "Oh, babe. I just can't stand being away from you. I just... I can't." He says, "Don't worry, sweetheart. We'll make it. I've got enough cash to last us. We'll find a far away enough hotel to stay in and be back on the road. We're already halfway to Virginia. We have a long way to go, Kitten." 

You say, "I come from farther." You smile. He says, "Yeah. That you do. Hell, we might even... run there." You say, "So long as we have each other, Catnap." He says, "I was getting ready to say the same to you, Kitten. I won't lose you. Not anymore." You smile and you sit back. The song nears the end as Catnap drives down the interstate.

**********************************************************

Later on at night, you and Catnap manage to find a hotel in Frankfort, Kentucky. You've traveled at least 560 miles from Baltimore so far. You're far enough to not be tracked down at the moment. It's a Comfort Inn hotel.

Catnap finds a place to park and he says, "Come on. Let's get inside. I'll get us a room for tonight." You and Catnap get out of his car and you head for the doors. You get inside and you both walk up to the desk. 

The lady behind it is a bigger woman with a cigarette in her mouth. You ring the bell and she looks up. She takes the cigarette out of her mouth and she approaches you and Catnap. She says, "Yeah. Hello there. Welcome to Comfort Inn. What can I do ya two for?" You say, "Hello, yes. We need a room to stay in for the night and then we're back on the road." 

She says, "Nice accent, girlie." You say, "Thanks. I'm originally from Australia." She says, "Alright. It'll be seventy-five bucks and I'll get you your room key." Catnap pays her and he says, "Much appreciated." He grins. 

She walks to the wall of room keys and she grabs one. She comes back to you guys and she says, "Room B-12 is your room. Enjoy your stay." You take the room key and you say, "Thank you." Catnap says, "Come on, Kitten." You and Catnap walk off and you head up to the second floor where your room is located. You find B-12 and you unlock the door. 

Catnap says, "We'll be staying here for the night. Then we'll be on our way in the morning." You say, "I'm getting us a little bit of something to eat first before we leave. I'm not letting you drive on an empty stomach, baby." He says, "Alright. We'll do that. We'll eat breakfast and keep moving." You and Catnap get in your room and you close the door behind you.