Ch. 10: Two Phone Calls/A Ride Through the Badlands

The next morning, Dog Day and Vicky are at home. They're both laying on the bed. Dog Day's still asleep. Vicky's laying there and she says, "Where are you, (Y/N)? You and Catnap both. I-I mean as long as he doesn't hurt her that's fine... right?" 

The phone rings and she says, "Crap." She gets up and she quickly gets a pair of pants on. She walks out of the room. Dog Day remains asleep. She gets in the kitchen and grabs the phone hanging up on the wall. She says, "Hello?"

She gets a feminine voice saying this, "Hello? Is this Vicky?" Vicky recognizes the voice and she says, "Poppy Playtime. Hey. How are you?" "I'm fine. Um... Have you guys found out were (Y/N) could be? She's all over the news here in Baltimore about her disappearance." "We've suspected who it was, but I don't think she wants to leave anytime." "What do you mean by that? Who is it that took her?" "Remember that purple cat guy from high school? The strange one with the red smoke?" "Catnap?!" "Yeah. I'm sure he's the one who took her. He won't let HER go again. I know it. Those two have missed each other for years." "He still needs to be brought to justice. He did kidnap." "You do have a point." "Where's Dog Day?" "Still asleep. I'll tell him you called." "Alright. Thank you. We'll keep in touch about (Y/N) and Catnap's whereabouts." 

After talking to Poppy, Vicky hangs the phone back up. She says, "At least it was Poppy and not... Yeah. That blue asshat." She walks away and the phone rings again. She walks back and says, "Maybe it's Poppy again. Or (Y/N)'s parents." She picks it up and says, "Hello?"

But boy is she wrong. She hears a familiar male voice barely awake saying, "H-hey. Is this... Vicky?" "Huggy?!" "Mmm, hey. Are are ya, huh?" "What do you want, this time? You've caused me enough fucking problems. We are through! Asshole." "I-I want you... to break up with that Dog Day guy... C-come to my house and give me a good time. I..." "Hell no! I'm not doing that! You have the audacity to even call her and act like a damn creep!" "Awe, come on Vicky." "No. Besides, you fucking cheated." "I don't love her. She's a slut. Besides... I hear she's with (Y/N)'s younger brother now." "Shut up. No they're not. Daniel wouldn't even be caught dead dating that whore of yours."

Dog Day walks in and says, "What's going on? What's all the yelling about?" Vicky hands him the phone and he takes it saying, "Hello?" "Put the girl back on, doggy boy." Dog Day's eyes widen and he says, "What the fu... Huggy Wuggy?!" "Give her to ME. She don't belong with YOU. She needs to come to ME." "You listen to me as hard as you can, shithead. Don't ever harass MY girlfriend. She's with me now. Not you. You cheated on her with Mommy Long Legs." "Heh heh. Speaking of her... Guess who I found out she's dating? (Y/N)'s younger brother." "Are you shitting me? Danny doesn't even like slutty women." "But he doesn't know that about Mommy, now does he? If you think I'm joking, go to Daniel's place and see for yourself. Nobody can resist the former queen bee of Baltimore High." "Don't call here again, asshole." He hangs up.

He shakes his head and he says, "God, that guy's fucking nuts." Vicky says, "Ugh. You're telling me. He had the audacity to even call here and harass me over the phone." Dog Day says, "He was probably hungover from a night of drinking. Wouldn't doubt it." 

Vicky says, "But Poppy did call before that." Dog Day says, "Well good. One decent person called here. How is she?" Vicky says, "From the sounds of it, she seems fine. She asked if we knew anymore detail on Catnap's whereabouts." Dog Day says, "But we don't even know where he lives." 

Vicky says, "Judging by his reputation, I'd say he lives in a shitty neighborhood somewhere here in Baltimore." Dog Day says, "He could. That guy without a doubt hasn't seen his own family in years. He hardly has any with that horrible dad of his now gone." Vicky says, "But he did kind of deserve it for how he mistreated Catnap as a child." 

Dog Day says, "I know he has to be living by himself... until he snatched (Y/N)." Vicky says, "Let's drive over there and get to some houses. See if they know about where Catnap lives." Dog Day sighs and says, "Alright. But if we hear a gunshot, we're out of there. I'll drive." Vicky says, "Awesome. Come on." They head out of the house.

********************************************************

Dog Day's driving down the road to the bad part of the city. Vicky's in the passenger's seat. The radio is playing Fade Into You by Mazzy Star. Vicky's singing to it a bit and she says, "This is one of mine and (Y/N)'s favorite songs." Dog Day says, "What is her favorite? I know she listens to a lot of Soundgarden." Vicky says, "She loves Rusty Cage. That's her favorite." 

Dog Day says, "She and Catnap chose a song of their own once before. What was it?" Vicky says, "The band Heart. The song What About Love? is their song. (Y/N) told me all of this, herself. Reminds her of when they got together." Dog Day sighs and says, "Yeah. It's too bad Catnap snapped at the other six and got them killed because he felt they would split him up from (Y/N)." She says, "Loves her enough to kill."

They get to a house and they park right out on the curb. Dog Day sighs and says, "Alright. We'll ask this person if they know anything. They don't know or if they refuse to tell us, we'll try the next house." Vicky says, "Okay." He says, "Stick with me. This neighborhood is kind of shady, but Catnap's place has to be around here." 

They get out of the car and they walk up to the front porch of the small white house with bars on the windows. Vicky whispers, "I think the bars on the windows are hinted this neighborhood sucks." Dog Day says, "Yeah." They get to the door.

Dog Day knocks. Vicky stands close to him. The big door opens behind the screen door and there's a bigger older woman. Possibly in her mid to late 40s. She sees Dog Day and Vicky and you say, "Need something?" 

Dog Day says, "Um, yes ma'am. You don't know us, but we have a question to ask of you." She says, "Alright. What is it?" Vicky says, "Do you happen to know anybody by the name... Catnap? Or know where he lives?" The woman says, "I know who you're talking about, but I have no clue where he lives. Sorry." Dog Day says, "That's okay. Thanks, anyhow." 

She says, "You're not in the best neighborhood, you know. You two are going around, knocking on people's doors here." Vicky says, "We believe Catnap lives around here." The woman says, "But boy I'll tell you two. The boy is cuckoo. Makes even a gang leader around here seem slightly tame. Be careful, you two." Dog Day says, "Thanks, miss." She shuts the door and they walk off.

They try the next house and they walk on the lawn. But there's a gunshot that fires at them and barely misses Dog Day's foot. Vicky yelps. Dog Day says, "Uhh... W-we'll just try the next house." They try more places and ask the neighbors if they know about where Catnap resides. 

When all fails, they get back to the car and they get in. Dog Day says, "Let's go home. We tried." They drive off. Little were they aware, a young possibly a gang member sees them drive off. He saw and heard everything from them.