23| Annahita's Rejection

Annahita's POV

As Adhiraj poured his heart out, proposing to me in the sacred presence of Kaali Ma, my emotions swirled like a tempest within me. His words, so earnest and sincere, stirred something deep within my soul. I felt a rush of love and disbelief, tinged with overwhelming joy. To hear him express his love so openly, to witness the depth of his affection, filled me with an indescribable warmth.

Yet, beneath the surface of my elation, a storm of doubts and fears brewed. As much as I cherished Adhiraj and yearned to accept his proposal, I couldn't shake the sense of inadequacy gnawing at my heart. The vast chasm separating our worlds loomed large in my mind, casting a shadow over our happiness. Could I truly bridge the gap between us? Could I bear the weight of expectations and judgments that came with marrying into royalty?

When the moment came to respond, tears pricked at the corners of my eyes. Each word felt like a heavy burden, weighing me down with uncertainty and sorrow. I longed to say yes, to embrace our love and embark on this journey together. But the fear of disappointing him, of not measuring up to the standards of his world, held me back.

As I gently declined his proposal, I watched the pain flicker across Adhiraj's face, and my heart shattered into a million pieces. The agony of breaking his heart tore through me, leaving me feeling hollow and empty. Yet, even as I grappled with my own anguish, I knew deep down that I had made the right choice-for both of us.

My heart broke when I said I didn't love him. Yes, I do. I do a lot. How can someone not love him? But my heart bled when he said, "You're lying, Jaana. Don't break my heart like this. I can agree with your request not to marry me, and I can wait for eternity for you, but just don't lie to me. Don't say that you don't love me," with tears glistening in his eyes. I've never seen him like this-never seen his vulnerable side.

I know his love for me is beyond what I can comprehend. But we are not compatible. We are apart like two sides of the river that flow together but never meet. How can I even think about marrying him when I can't even match his status? I've seen people looking at me with contempt, as if I'm taking advantage of this family, as if I'm a gold digger. And I'm not. I've been trying to get my degree as soon as possible to apply for a job.

My thoughts broke when Adhiraj stood up and clasped his hands on my wrist.

"Think about us once again, Jaana. I know you love me, and it shows in your eyes; otherwise, I would have never proposed to you like this," said Adhiraj before leaving me lost in my thoughts.

As Adhiraj walked away, his footsteps echoing in the sanctum, I felt a sense of loss wash over me. But amidst the pain and sorrow, there was a glimmer of peace, a knowing that I had stayed true to myself and to our love. And though my heart ached with longing, I found solace in the belief that sometimes, love meant letting go.

My eyes filled with unshed tears. I blinked them away and was heading towards the exit when I spotted Nandini coming towards me, tears streaming down her face.

She suddenly hugged me and said, "I hate him, Anna. I really hate him," while sobbing.

I tightened my arms around her in a hug, trying to comfort her.

"Why, Nandu? I know you can't hate him," I said while ruffling her hair.

"Vo humare hona nhi chahte or naa hi humein kisi or ka hone dena chahte hai. Kyu? Aakhir kyu? Vo humare kyu nhi ho skte? Humne koi gunaah kar diya hai unse prem kar ke ?"
("He doesn't want to be mine and doesn't want me to be someone else's. Why? Just why? Why can't he be mine? Have I committed a sin by loving him?") said Nandini between sobs.