13| Black magic

Author's POV

Annahita sat upright, enjoying her breakfast, when suddenly Nandini announced, "I have something to share. I want to get engaged before the end of this month, so I've invited someone this evening."

"Have you gone mad, Nandini?" asked Tripti in her furious voice.

"Maa, I'm serious. I wanna get married," said Nandini while staring at her plate.

"Are you both not gonna say anything to her?" Tripti asked Digvijay and Adhiraj.

"Maa, calm down. I'll talk to her," said Adhiraj.

"There is no need to talk to her. Invite whoever she wants to get married to. I'll meet him first," said Digvijay.

Tripti glared at Digvijay, stood up from her seat, and went away. Digvijay sighed, smiling at Nandini, and said, "I know your reason. But don't be this hasty. Invite him after Kaali Puja."

"Ok, baba," said Nandini, continuing to eat her breakfast. Digvijay went behind his wife to coax her.

Annahita stared at Nandini in disbelief and asked in a low voice, "What's going on, Nandu?"

"Nothing," said Nandini.

"Don't you dare lie to me. What's going on?" Annahita asked again, but this time in a stern voice.

"Come to my room in the afternoon. I'll tell you everything," said Nandini and stood up to leave.

"Don't make any decisions in anger, Nandu," said Adhiraj.

Nandini didn't say anything to him and went away. Adhiraj also stood up from his seat, gently kissed the top of Annahita's head, and went away, leaving her dumbfounded.

In the afternoon, Annahita went to Nandini's room. Nandini was lying in her bed, staring at her ceiling as if it held the secrets of the universe. The sound of Annahita's anklets broke Nandini's trance. She glanced at her and then resumed her contemplation of the ceiling.

Annahita went near her, sat beside her, and started moving her fingers through Nandini's hair, causing her to close her eyes. Annahita gently asked, "Tell me now, Nandu. What happened? Did Shivaay bhai say something to you?"

Tears escaped from Nandini's closed eyes at Annahita's question. She wiped them away, hugged Annahita while lying down, and said, "Unhe main nhi chahiye,Anna. Vo mujhe prem ki nazron se nhi dekhte. Unhe kisi or se shadi krni hai"
("He doesn't want me, Anna. He doesn't see me as a lover. He wants to get married to someone else.")

Annahita held Nandini tighter in the hug, feeling the weight of her friend's heartbreak. She whispered soothing words, trying to provide comfort.

Nandini continued, "I thought he felt the same way, Anna. We were so close, and I believed he saw me beyond just friendship. But now... he's planning to marry someone else."

As the room filled with a heavy silence, Nandini composed herself and looked at Annahita. "I can't let this sadness consume me, Anna. That's why I decided to get engaged. I need to move on and find someone who truly values me."

Annahita, although understanding Nandini's pain, couldn't shake off the concern. "Are you rushing into this engagement, Nandu? It's a big decision."

Nandini sighed, "I know, Anna. But sometimes we need to take bold steps to heal. And I've invited someone to meet the family today."

Annahita, intrigued and a bit worried, asked, "Who is this person, Nandu? Do you even know him well?"