2| Her pain

In the hushed darkness of the late night, Nandini and Annahita, guided by the faint glow of lanterns, arrived at the edge of Annahita's village. Concerned for their safety, Nandini's father, Digvijay Singh Rathore, insisted on accompanying them. Little did they anticipate the heart-wrenching scene that awaited them.

As they approached Annahita's home, a flickering glow hinted at the tragedy that had unfolded. The air grew heavy with sorrow as they entered the vicinity, and the cruel reality of the situation revealed itself. Annahita, her tear-streaked face barely visible in the dim light, stood beside the lifeless bodies of her parents, a sight that shattered the stillness of the night.

Nandini, her heart sinking, exchanged a glance with her father, both paralyzed by the sheer devastation before them. The village, once a heaven for Annahita, echoed with her agonized cries as she wept beside the remnants of her home and family.

In the face of such profound grief, Nandini's father, Digvijay Singh Rathore, a man known for his wisdom, started preparing for the last rites of Annahita's parents. His concern extended beyond immediate safety to the cultural and traditional aspects of the grieving process. As Annahita was the only child, she didn't have any other family members, neither maternal nor paternal.

Digvijay Singh, with a heavy heart, arranged everything in the night as rites couldn't be performed after sunset. The news of the tragedy spread, drawing the villagers to the scene. The hushed night was soon filled with the hustle and bustle, and Annahita's pained sobs made it difficult for her to breathe.

Nandini, sat beside Annahita as a pillar of support. Elders of the village gathered and questioned Digvijay about who would perform the last rites. He explained Annahita's situation, but the elders, despite knowing his reputation, objected, citing societal norms that questioned a woman's role in such rituals.

As the elders of the village were adamant on Annahita not performing the last rites, she overheard their argument and collapsed in despair. Her energy depleted, she had no strength left to argue with the villagers.

Digvijay Singh tried to argue with them.
"Dekhiye, vo bachhi humari beti ki tarah hai. Humein haath uthane pe majboor matt kariye. Ye uska haq hai. Aap log aise us se uska haq nhi cheen skte hai. Or vaise bhi uske siwa koi hai nhi ye vidhi krne ke liye." said Digvijay to the villagers.
(Look, she is like my daughter. Please don't force me to raise my hand. It is her right. You people cannot deprive her of that right. Besides, there is no one else but her to perform this ritual.)
But still they had some doubts in their mind about letting a girl perform the last rites of her parents.

Digvijay Singh, caught in a predicament, decided to seek guidance from Guru ji, his mentor. In a quiet corner, away from the commotion, he called Guru ji and explained the situation. The wise Guru ji pondered on the complexities of tradition and advised Digvijay on two options: either someone else could perform the rites or, if unmarried, Annahita had the right to perform the last rites.

Armed with this insight, Digvijay conveyed the guidance to the villagers. Despite objections, the village elders, recognizing the weight of the situation, reluctantly agreed. Annahita, granted permission, embraced the daunting responsibility of performing her parents' last rites.

Annahita, guided by the words of her mentor, began the rituals with a heavy heart but a sense of duty, offering her parents a final farewell amidst the flickering flames and the echoes of the village mourning.

As she had no home to return to and had the rituals to perform, Digvijay suggested her to come with him to his guru Ji's ashram in Kashi where she can perform the remaining rituals with the guidance of guru ji.

Annahita hesitated, and Digvijay reassured her, "Kashi will provide solace, my child. Guru Ji will guide you through the rest of the rituals, and you won't be alone."

She agreed with the words of Digvijay to accompany him to Kashi.

Nandini also insisted to go with her but Digvijay stopped her saying that she is needed at home for an emergency by her elder brother.

Nandini protested, "Annahita needs me, Papa. I can't leave her alone in such a difficult time."

Digvijay, with a solemn expression, replied, "I understand, Nandini. But your brother needs you right now. Annahita won't be alone; I'll be with her. It's a difficult decision, but it's necessary."

She tried to argue with him that Annahita needs her, but he said, "Trust me, Nandini. I'll take care of Annahita like my own daughter."

Reluctantly, Nandini agreed when Digvijay revealed the urgency of the situation at her home.

Annahita and Digvijay, along with some men from the village, set out for Kashi. Along the journey, Annahita, still grappling with grief, asked Digvijay, "Aap mere liye itna kuch kyu kar rahe hai uncle?"
(Why are you doing so much for me, uncle?)

Digvijay looked at her with compassion and replied, "You are like my own daughter, Annahita. In times of sorrow, we must support each other. It's our duty as humans."

Arriving at Guru Ji's ashram, Annahita found solace in the serene surroundings. Guru Ji, a source of wisdom and comfort, welcomed her and guided her through the intricate rituals that would help her find closure.

The journey to Kashi became a transformative experience for Annahita, allowing her to bid a final farewell to her parents with the blessings of Guru Ji and the unwavering support of Digvijay Singh Rathore.