11| Nandini's outburst

Author's POV

"Now, do you believe me?" Adhiraj said to Annahita.

"So what? And it doesn't matter to me if you have a fiance or not" said Annahita, walking back to the dining table.

"Okay, my queen. Let's eat first. I'm hungry. We'll argue later" said Adhiraj, following her to the dining table.

He sat beside her and started having food. "Maa told me to sleep with you" said Adhiraj.

Annahita choked on her food. Adhiraj gave her water and started rubbing her back. She calmed down a little and said, "What do you mean by 'Maa said that'?"

"I mean sleep beside your room. In the guest room, Jaana," said Adhiraj, chuckling at her reaction.

"You should've said that earlier," said Annahita, glaring at him.

"Why? Do you wanna sleep with me, Jaanam?" said Adhiraj, smirking at her.

Annahita glared at him and said, "In your dreams."

"You don't really want to know what I dream about you," mumbled Adhiraj, too soft for her to hear.

"What?" asked Annahita.

"Nothing. Let's go on a short walk. It will help you sleep peacefully" said Adhiraj.

Annahita hesitated a bit but eventually agreed. As they strolled in the back garden, Annahita shivered due to the cold winds, which didn't go unnoticed by Adhiraj.

He gently wrapped his shawl around Annahita, creating a cocoon of warmth. His touch was considerate, and Annahita, though initially taken aback, appreciated the gesture. As they continued their walk, the moonlight cast a soft glow on their surroundings.

While immersed in her thoughts, Adhiraj, seeking to extend their conversation, asked Annahita, "What are your future plans?"

"I don't know. Tomorrow is my result. I'm confident that I'll pass, but I'm uncertain about what more I want to do in my life," said Annahita, her voice reflecting a mix of confidence and hesitation.

"Why? Don't you want to work or pursue your passion?" asked Adhiraj.

"I do. But I don't know if anyone will hire me here in Anuvarta, and I don't want to shift right now," said Annahita, her words trailing off.

"Do you want to work under me?" asked Adhiraj.

"What do you mean?" inquired Annahita.

Adhiraj stopped in his tracks and faced Annahita. He explained, "There is a post in my office that you can fulfill. You can help me maintain the accounts of this mansion and keep details about the funds allocated to Shivaay's party."

Annahita widened her eyes in surprise at his unexpected proposition.

"Don't you think you're offering me too much? What if I share the details of Shivaay Bhai's party with the opposition or embezzle the funds?" asked Annahita, her eyes fixed on Adhiraj.

"Jaana, do you really think I don't know about you?" questioned Adhiraj.

"What do you mean? Did you investigate me?" inquired Annahita, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

Adhiraj chuckled at her and said, "Jaanam, I didn't investigate you. I just wanted to know the people around Nandu."

Adhiraj continued, "I trust you, Jaana. I know you wouldn't do anything like that. Plus, it's not just a job offer; it's an opportunity for you to use your skills in a meaningful way."