4| Kashi

Annahita's POV

In the heart of Kashi, amidst the ancient rituals and the sacred Ganges, I found solace. The flames that consumed my parents may have taken them away, leaving me utterly alone, but Kashi welcomed me with a comforting embrace. Bestowed with strength from my best friend's father, who became my anchor in this sea of grief, I performed the rituals to ensure my parents' journey to moksha.

The ghats witnessed my tears and the echoes of the priest's chants reverberated in my soul. Kashi became more than a place; it became a sanctuary where grief and loss met the soothing whispers of the sacred river. As I walked through the narrow alleys, the weight on my shoulders lightened with each step. Digvijay uncle, a pillar of support, guided me through the rituals, and his mentor, Guru Ji, shared wisdom that slowly mended the fractures in my heart.

In the quiet moments by the riverbank, under the watchful eyes of ancient temples, I discovered a profound connection to something greater than myself. Kashi became the canvas on which I painted my healing journey, a place where the rhythm of life and death played a haunting melody that echoed the impermanence of existence. Through the rituals and the wise words whispered by the Ganges breeze, I found a sense of peace, an oasis of calm in the storm of my grief.

Sitting by the Ganga River, I watched the flow of life around me. It had been a month since I arrived in Kashi, finding comfort from the deep pain of losing my parents. The river's gentle whispers and the timeless rituals offered a feeling of healing, yet the ache in my heart persisted.

Lost in my thoughts, I felt a soft pat on my head. "Annahita, my child," Digvijay uncle, smiled at me with understanding eyes. His presence, like a comforting balm, reminded me that I wasn't truly alone. As I continued to watch the river, he asked if I wanted to return with him.

With a heavy heart, I confessed that I had no one left and no home to return to. His smile widened, and he spoke with a warmth that echoed in my soul. "Call me Baba, Annahita. I want you to consider me as your father. Only then will I talk to you," he insisted.

Hesitant at first, I chuckled at his playful demand, understanding the depth of his affection. "Alright, Baba," I said, testing the unfamiliar word on my lips. Yet, in that moment, it felt right-like a bridge between us, connecting our hearts.

He declared that I was not only his daughter in words but also in his heart. He assured me there was a family ready to welcome me with open arms.

Expressing my affection for Kashi, a place that had become a gentle bandage on my broken heart, I admitted, "Baba main kashi se jana nahi chahti"
(Baba, I really don't want to leave Kashi.)

He acknowledged the city's magnetic pull but reminded me of my best friend, Nandini, and everyone eagerly awaiting my return. Reluctantly, I agreed, grappling with the upcoming departure from the place that had embraced my grief.

He informed me that someone from Anuvarta would pick us up, and tomorrow we would say goodbye to Kashi. An uneasy acceptance settled within me, and I decided to visit the ashram one last time to bid farewell to the newfound friends who had become my solace.

As evening came, I strolled through the familiar paths of the ashram, sharing laughter and tears with those who had become my companions in this healing journey. Baba, understanding my need for closure, suggested that we explore the streets of Kashi one final time before our departure.

Together, we roamed through the ancient lanes, each corner holding memories of my time here. "Baba, thank you for everything," I said, grateful for his unwavering support.

The night air carried the essence of Kashi, a blend of spirituality and earthly delights. Returning to the ashram under the evening sky, I felt a bittersweet mixture of gratitude and sorrow. Kashi had been my safe place. Tomorrow, a new chapter awaited in Anuvarta, but tonight, I embraced the final moments in the city that had stitched the fragments of my broken heart back together.