12| Annahita's song

Author's POV

As Nandini and Tripti gracefully departed from the scene, Shivaay found himself amidst a growing tempest. Unyielding to Nandini's audacious threats, Akriti redirected her attention towards Shivaay.

"You need to control your family, Shivaay. I won't tolerate such behavior," Akriti asserted, her tone blending frustration with entitlement.

Attempting to keep his composure, Shivaay replied, "Akriti, this isn't the time or place for such discussions. Let's handle this calmly. And who gave you the right to question her about her family matters? Stay away from Nandini and Annahita, or else it won't be good for you."

Akriti, dismissive of his advice, continued, "I can't believe Nandini is so insolent. We need to sort this out now. She slapped me for a girl who has no background and is an orphan. How dare she?"

"How dare she? No, how dare you? How dare you say anything about my family and, most importantly, about Nandini? She is only talking about destroying your political career, but I'll genuinely destroy your whole life," Shivaay retorted angrily to Akriti.

Seeing the situation escalate, Mrs. Randhawa intervened, saying, "Beta, she is just worried about you. No need to get so angry. I'll teach her," and she promptly dragged Akriti away.

Shivaay, seeking a quieter corner of the party venue, pulled out his phone and dialed Nandini.

"Nandini, what was that back there? You can't just make bold statements like that," Shivaay expressed his concern.

Nandini, on the other end, chuckled and replied, "Shivaay, no, I mean Mr. Thakur. Are you angry with me for slapping your beloved, or are you upset about me destroying her career?"

"Bachhi, stop this nonsense. Her career is important for me too. She is crucial for me to achieve the position of Chief Minister," said Shivaay sternly.

This time, Nandini couldn't control her laughter and said, "Mujhe fark nahi padta ki vo aapke liye zaruri hai ya nahi. Aapko dikhta nahi mujhe takleef hoti hai? Aapko dikhta nahi ki aapko kisi or ke saath dekh ke mera marne ka dil karta hai? Please, jaan please, rok dijiye ye sab"
("I don't care if she is important for you or not. Can't you see it hurts me? Can't you see watching you with someone else makes me want to die? Please, jaan, please stop this.") Tears welled up in Nandini's eyes this time.

Shivaay didn't say anything for a few minutes but then composed himself and said, "Nandini, bachhi, please stop. You shouldn't do this to yourself. You're precious to me, but I don't see you as a lover."

"Okay, then I'll stop. But what I said about her resignation is going to happen no matter what. She has to resign from her position. I agreed with your demand of bringing Anna to the mansion despite everyone's disapproval. So now you should not interfere in my matters," said Nandini and cut the call.

Shivaay took a deep breath, and a look of gloom lingered in his eyes. He snapped out of his thoughts when Rustam called him to inform about Tripti and Nandini's departure with Kaali.

"Baba shouldn't get wind of today's drama that unfolded here. Set up a meeting with Mr. Randhawa tomorrow morning," said Shivaay to Rustam.

"Wait, where is Baba? I haven't seen him at the party," said Shivaay.

"He is not here. He went to visit someone after he got a call," explained Rustam.

"Okay. I'm going home. Come back tomorrow and make sure Nandini's decision doesn't impact her in any way," said Shivaay as he walked away from there.