21| Kaali Puja

Adhiraj's POV

This morning was hectic. I hurriedly washed up and got ready to go to the temple as it was almost time for the puja to start. With my cast on my right hand, I headed downstairs.

Nandini was busy instructing someone to deliver the items on the table to the temple. When I cleared my throat to gain her attention, she turned to me.

"Bhai, oh my god, you look so handsome! But what happened to your hand?" she asked.

I didn't want to lie to her, so I simply patted her head and said, "Bachha, you look beautiful. I don't have time to answer your questions right now, just tie my turban, I'm getting late," while handing her the turban cloth.

Sitting on the single sofa, I urged her to hurry, but before she could move, her eyes sparkled mischievously as she noticed something behind me. Before I could ask her anything, she ran in that direction, dragging someone with her hand near me. When I looked at the person she dragged, my breath got stuck in my chest.

"Bholenath, this creation of yours will be the death of me someday. How can someone look this alluring?" I thought to myself. The silk saree she wore made her look not like an angel, but a goddess.

I scolded myself internally to control my reactions and stop gawking at her. As I was lost in my thoughts, Nandini spoke, breaking me from my reverie.

"Anna, tie the turban for bhai. I'm getting late. I need to go. Ok? Bye. Bye, Bhai," she said before running out of the hall, smiling and winking mischievously at me.

When will this kiddo grow up? But am I complaining about her actions? No. How can I, when she's presented me with an opportunity to stay closer to my Jaanam?

I glanced at Annahita, who was fortunately looking at me, or I should say, checking me out. I cleared my throat to gain her attention, which was fixated on my chest. Should I start roaming shirtless so that she'll look at me with this much intensity every second? Ok, I'm getting lost in her again.

I gestured for Annahita to tie the turban. She hesitantly moved closer to me and started tying the turban on my head. After a few minutes, she was done and stepped back. I wanted her to stay closer, but I didn't have time right now.

I could stay here for eternity with her like this, but I couldn't. So, I stood up and went closer to her. Bending towards her, I whispered in her ear, "You look so beautiful, Jaana. But don't look at me like this, or I'll forget everything, even my own existence. I love you, Jaan."

I moved back and looked at her face, which turned red due to shyness. Chuckling, I held her hands in mine and led her towards the car. She didn't say anything but followed me without question.

We sat in the car and headed towards the temple when finally she spoke, "Why are you not wearing anything on your upper body?"

"Jaana, I'm going to perform the puja myself, and that's how we are supposed to be dressed. And I've draped the cloth around me securely so it won't show too much of my skin. Although if you want, I can show it to you," I said to her, causing her to blush at my remarks and playfully hit my arm while saying, "How shameless."

I chuckled at her reaction. After a few minutes, we reached the temple, and Annahita went towards Nandini and Maa. I smiled subtly at her behavior and made my way towards the head priest who was waiting for me. Shivaay was standing with the head priest, engaged in conversation, when he noticed me.

He approached me and whispered, "After the puja, we need to talk. It's urgent."

I nodded at him, and he went away.