• 1 •

A few weeks have passed, nothing has changed. Mom and dad are constantly coming in and out of the house. We barely speak, even at dinner. We're all too overwhelmed by the silence.

They plant kisses on my forehead, and give me tight hugs, once they catch a glance at me.

They comfort me. My lips crack into a smile. At least, they try.

I closed my textbook, and placed my homework inside my backpack.

"All done with homework, hun?" My mom called from upstairs.

"Yes, I just finished." I yelled back.

"Good. Dad and I are taking the night off. We know you must feel always alone, and we need - we have to make it up." She replied, I could feel her motherhood, ready to smother me.

I ran into my room, changing. Knowing exactly where they were taking me.

• ~ •

We entered our home, for once, filled with life. Our laughter illuminated the walls, filling the air with warmth and happiness.

Even though it lasts, one night, I am thankful. I'm grateful for this, brief sensation of happiness.

My parents craddled me in their arms. Their love was nearly chocking me, literally.

They chuckled as I pulled away.

We walked up the stairs, leading to my bedroom. I didn't bother removing my clothing. No school tomorrow.

They tucked me in bed, kissing me goodnight. They shut my door and their footsteps danced to their bedroom.

I gripped the bear my dad won me, in my arms. I could smell my dad's protection.

My eyes closed, and I did my prayers before I went to sleep.

My skin arose, covered in goosebumps, as I fell tormented into my sleep, feeling watched.

• * •