Mary's Song pt.6

After the young couple had gotten caught in the act, they collectively decided to be more cautious of when and where they hooked up. Instead of hooking up in Taylor or Travis's bed when their parents were gone, they still did it at the creek. They had gone all the way to the fourth quarter of senior year without ever being caught again.

Of course, it wasn't very frequent because Taylor would be on her period or the two of them would simply be in the mood to cuddle instead.

But with the looming reality of college on them, they had begun to just sit there in each other's arms, both not wanting to say what they were thinking out loud. The odds of them staying this close and together while they went to colleges spread around the country were very slim for the young lovers.

Taylor looked up at Travis as she lay in between his legs, him propped up against a tree. He was watching the gentle stream of water flow by, deep in thought.

"Whatcha thinking about Trav?",Taylor asked, playing with Travis's fingers as he wrapped his arms around.

"Oh, nothing", he said softly.

"It's obviously something because you haven't talked for fifteen minutes. Is everything alright?", asked Taylor, sitting up slightly and taking his face in her hands.

Travis kissed the back of her hand as it ran across his mouth.

"I can't", he said softly, his voice constricted as if he was holding back tears.

"Oh, baby. What's wrong?",Taylor asked. She realized that he was genuinely upset about something. She turned around in his arms, stroking her hand through his hair.

He avoided eye contact. Taylor pulled his head to face hers, forcing him to look at her.

"I'm just scared for college. I mean, you're going to NYU, which I'm so fucking proud of you for. Like I've already bragged to my friends that my girlfriend is in one of the best english programs in the country. But I'll be all the way over in Cleveland for football. I don't know. I'm just scared that we'll...", he said, struggling to get the last part of his sentence out without letting out tears.

"Oh, Travis. Don't say that. I love you", said Taylor, sobbing. She clung to his neck, straddling his lap. She placed her head into the crook of his neck, holding onto him tightly. It was only a matter of time before one of them mentioned the looming fear of a breakup. They loved each other, but fate pulled them apart.

"I love you too, baby", he whispered, holding her middle tightly, lightly kissing her shoulder.

"Do we have to?", asked Taylor. She knew where this was going.

Travis felt tears spill from his eyes. He sighed. He didn't want to break her heart. He wanted to be with her for the rest of her life. But life doesn't always work the way out you want it to.

"Oh, Tay. You know I don't want to do this", he said, sniffling as he pulled her closer.

"Then just don't", she pleaded.

"I have to, baby girl. I'm so sorry. It's time for you to move on to bigger and better things than a stupid high school boyfriend", Travis mumbled, it physically pained him to see her like this, especially because he caused her this pain.

Taylor let out a loud sob against his neck. "No. You aren't my stupid high school boyfriend", she mumbled, still clutching him.

Her body went limp against him, resting her head in the crook of his neck while her body was racked with loud sobs.

"Hey, Teffy...", began Austin as he approached the couple to tell Taylor that dinner was ready.

Travis gave him a small smile, sniffling back tears of his own as Taylor was still consistently crying. Taylor didn't know that her brother was there.