The Bradfords

Trigger warning: abusive household

The Bradfords were a typical American family. Mother, father and two kids. Tom Bradford had a decent job and his wife mostly stayed at home, though she sometimes helped out at their kids school.
The older son Tim used to play football and was known to be seen on daily runs. Their daughter Genny was a gentle soul, she had lots of friends and loved to go out with them.
What might seem to be a happy family to outstanders, the truth was surely different.

"Okay listen Gen" Tim whispered in the dawn of night, kneeling at her bed. "Mom isn't back yet. I don't know what kept her up but dad is on his way home. And he will throw a tantrum because of it."
Little Genny nodded along, signaling her brother that she understood.
"I want you to stay in your room, no matter what. If you hear his footsteps coming to your room, you take this key and lock yourself in our shared bathroom. Remember to lock both doors." Tim gave her a key and Genny held it tight in her hand.
"What about you?" She asked.
"I don't want him to lash out on Mom when she comes back Gen."
"He will hurt you, won't he?"
Tim smiled at her and stood up, placing the blanket over her shoulders. "You know dad, he's just dramatic Gen. Don't worry, yeah?"
"Okay... but can you read me a story later?"
"Later? Gen it's passed your bedtime, you should be fast asleep by now." Tim lighted her nightlight and smiled at her. "I'll come back in half an hour, if your not asleep by then, I will read you your story."
"Okay, thanks Timmy."
"No problem, try to sleep yeah?"
After a confirming nod from Genny Tim walked out of her room, closing the door behind him.
He quickly walked downstairs and tried to clean up anything that could possibly upset his father. He was just cleaning up the last dishes, when he heard the Front-door open and slam shut.
Tim winced, trying not to let his fear take the better of him. He heard his father's footsteps approaching.
"Where is your mother boy?" Tim heard that he had been drinking. His voice was more of a mumble and he couldn't pronounce some words right.
"She got held up at the school meeting, you know how our teachers are. They like to talk a lot."
"Where is my food?" His father asked next. "Bring me some food and a beer boy."
"We-we're out of beer a- and we only have cereal at home."
"What did you say?"
Tim was about to repeat himself when his father slapped the back of his head. "I didn't mean it literally!"
Tim just nodded, not ready to turn around yet.
"Why the hell is no one in this house going to the store huh? What do you do with all your free time boy!? You have no job, you just go to school. So tell me."
"I'm sorry dad, I picked up Genny a-and we did our homwork a-"
"Did I ask for your pathetic excuses?"
Tim gulped down his upcoming rage, he finally turned around to face his dad. "No."
"That's right boy, so you better go out and bring me some beer and some food. Where is your sister?"
„She's sleeping."
Tom turned around and attempted to go upstairs, „she can finish your housework here."
„No, no let her sleep I'll finish it, really."  Tim quickly walked up behind his father, he was too worried about what could happen when he's not in the house.
„I didn't ask for your opinion." Tom resumed walking upstairs, whilst Tim started panicking. His father would do it his way, no matter what Tim said. The only thing that he could think of, was to anger his father.
„Dad. I said let her sleep, she's exhausted." Tim said, following his father up the stairs.
„And I said I don't want your opinion!" Tom wiped around and slapped Tim across his face. Tim wasn't prepared for that, he lost his balance and fell down the stairs, slamming his head on the floor and breaking the last bit of the railing with his foot.
Tim coughed, he felt dizzy and his back hurt like hell. When he opened his eyes and lifted his head he saw his father coming back down the stairs.
„WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!? look at the stairs Boy!"
Tom reached for Tim and grabbed him by his hair, not caring about the boys scream. „You're so useless. With what have I earned such a looser of a son huh?" he slammed Tim's head against the cluster wall, almost falling against it himself.
„You're going to the store first thing tomorrow and you are repairing the damage you've done."
Tim coughed again, he felt blood running down the side of his head.
„What? Are you to stupid to answer!?" next thing Tim felt was a foot between his rips.
„Stupid son of a bitch." Tom grabbed his son by his collar and lifted him up. „When I'm back there better be no hole in this wall, the stair is repaired and there is beer in the fridge. Understood?"
Tim numbly nodded. So Tom let go of him and walked over his son towards the front door, slamming it shut behind him.

Tim lay on the floor. He couldn't get up, he felt sick and his head hurt just as much as his back and rips.
„Timmy?" he heard a small voice from upstairs.
He took a second before turning his head in Gennys direction.
„Gen... Gen I-I don't feel good. C-can you call mom please?" he asked, tears clouding his vision.
„I don't know her number Timmy, a-and I can't reach the phone."
Tim tried to remember his mothers number, but he just couldn't. „Gen- Gen I need you to go to our neighbours okay? I-I think I need help."
Genny nodded and run towards the door, just than the doorknob turned and their mother walked in.
"Genny? What's- TIM!"
The last thing he heard was his mother scream before he lost the fight and faints.

Decades later

„Where did you get that scar from?" Lucy asked, gently running her hand through his short hair, but stopping at the back of his head at a scar, barely visible.
Tim groaned, feeling more comfortable than ever with his head in Lucys lap, half asleep. „my head met the drywall and staircase, I think I was fourteen or fifteen."
Lucy tensed, „y-your dad?"
Tim just nodded, still having his eyes closed.
„What happened?" she asked, resuming the caressing of his head.
„I don't remember much, doctors said that I might lose some memory and well I did."
„what? You don't remember some of your memories? Like what?"
Tim opened his eyes and looked up at her, "I don't remember what happened that night. Genny told me bits. But she was little when it happened. I also don't remember the days after that when I was in the hospital."
Lucy sighed, she did her best to not drop some tears. "I'm so sorry baby."
"Luce." Tim smiled, "I'm good. I can't change what happened, but it didn't end my world, we're here. And thats all that matters to me."
Lucy bend down and gave him a kiss, "I'm glad that you are okay."
"More than okay babe."