sixty three

word count: 3.7k

~

Exiting the RV, the team assembled at the front of the vehicle with quizzical looks on their faces.

'Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome back to the asylum!' Gar exclaimed in confusion upon seeing the large building before them. It was a giant store, not a large pile of rubble and ash. 'It's crazy to think this was all forest last time we were here...'

'Capitalism is disgusting' Eleanor muttered to Gar, who laughed and nudged her with his elbow.

'Strange,' Dick said, glancing down at his phone. 'This store never came up on my GPS. It's just blank. A black hole.'

'It's gone!' Kory laughed in disbelief.

'They made it a Super Super Mart,' Gar said, squinting at the tall building.

'There's something here,' Rachel told him, craning her head over her shoulder to look up.

'Yeah, they've got power tools, fresh groceries and a hunting section!'

Eleanor elbowed him and muttered, 'Gar.' After turning to see what Rachel was looking at. A black swarm flew above them, screeching and flapping their wings.

'And a ridiculous amount of ravens,' Gar said as his eyes widened.

They all began following after Dick, Eleanor walking so close she accidentally stepped on the back of his shoes multiple times. She apologised, but he gave her a gentle pat on her hip and a small smile. Eleanor grinned widely as Kory rolled her eyes. If it had been anybody else, he would have snapped at them by that point.

They stopped between two large garbage bins and Dick announced, 'I got something.'

Eleanor covered her mouth as she gagged loudly. The team spun around in worry as she turned away from them all in embarrassment. Jinx placed a hand on her back, and as she inhaled deeply, she gagged again. She couldn't stop the tears that pooled in her eyes as she felt the laugh bubble up from her stomach.

'Are you okay?' Jinx asked her in worry about her laughter.

'Yeah,' she said, wiping her mouth. 'Oh God, it smells so bad. I'm so sorry,' she said and stood back upright and turned around to face everyone, covering her mouth as she laughed. 'I'm okay.'

The group then turned their attention back to the door that Dick found. They slowly made their way between the bins, Jinx wrapping her arm around Eleanor's shoulders as Eleanor pinched her nose shut and forced herself to hold her breath.

'The hell is that?' Kory asked.

'Just your standard portal to hell,' Gar joked, also blocking his nose from the smell.

'Conner?' Dick asked.

Less than a minute later, they were all walking down the stairs and into the basement of Super Super Mart. However, it looked awfully familiar to the asylum they had burnt down years ago.

'Anybody remember this area?' Eleanor asked them as she squinted through the darkness. Their only light source was the sun streaming in from the basement windows high above them.

'No. Doesn't look familiar,' Rachel replied.

'The fire never made it down here. Like it was sealed off,' Kory told them all once they gathered at the bottom of the stairs.

'Let's split up,' Dick told them all, glancing over his shoulder. 'You guys go right. We'll go left.' He grabbed Eleanor's hand and led the way, the group breaking into two, leaving Sebastian standing in the middle, confused as to where to go.