thirty eight

word count: 2.3k

~

'This is such a stupid fucking idea, you're going to get us killed!' Eleanor said as she dropped down from the ledge of the brick wall, landing on her feet next to Jason, who was inspecting the trail of blood in the snow. The snow turned into sludge and melted down the small decline into the sewer tunnel. 'What happened to when I say we go, we go?'

Jason turned to her and put his hand on his hip. 

'Eleanor, the Joker escaped from Arkham two weeks ago... This is our chance to take him back in, or better yet, take him back to Bruce!'

'Is that what this is all about?' Eleanor asked him. 'Proving something to Bruce? Were you not just listening to a single word I said back there?' She asked and held her hands out in the general direction of the building they were on beforehand.

He looked at her with a bored expression before jumping at the locked fence that separated them and the tunnel that the Joker had disappeared into. Eleanor slid in front of him and held her arms out.

'No!' She said and ducked as he attempted to grab her shoulder.

'Let's just check it out and leave!'

'Or what if we just leave?'

The two continued to shove each other back and forth like children, not shoving hard enough to topple the other person over until Eleanor yelled out of frustration and held her hands out.

'Stop it!' She exclaimed and pulled her mask off of her head, causing her hair to spill all over the place. 'I think we should just recon and then decide— Where'd my hair tie go?' She muttered and looked down, dragging her fingers through her hair, hoping to find it knotted in there somewhere. 'Oh, for fuck sake!' She muttered with a huff.

Jason rolled his eyes and went to argue with her once again, but a laugh echoing from the tunnel caused him to freeze and flick his gaze into the darkness.

'Was that...'

'Yeah,' Eleanor muttered quietly, the both of them backing away from the fence, only to bump into something behind them. She spun around and barely had time to let out a gasp of fright before she was shoved into the wall.

With a quick recovery, Eleanor jumped to her feet and ran at the man who grabbed Jason by his neck. She threw herself onto his back and grabbed him by the jaw and forehead before twisting them in opposite directions. His body fell to the floor in a limp heap as Jason stumbled backwards, too shocked to even say anything. He had been taken by such surprise, that he was confused as to how they walked right into a trap.

'Robin, go!' She yelled at him, snapping him back to reality after she saw a group of armed people block their only exit. It was either fight them or go into the tunnel and face the Joker. He didn't need to be told twice, he scaled the side of the wall, with Eleanor grabbing the bottom of his feet and pushing upwards with all her might to give him the boost he needed to pull himself up. He spun onto his stomach and stuck his arm out to her, but she was already preoccupied with defending herself against the two men who had lunged at her.

One stabbed at her with a short pole and caught her with a strike under the ribs when she spun around. The electricity spasmed through her chest, back and arms, and caused her to collapse in pain.

The world faded to black for her, and the last thing she saw was Jason's figure disappearing over the wall completely.

+