fifty one

word count: 3.1k

tw: death, blood, angst, violence

~

'Were you ever going to tell me anything?' Dick asked Eleanor as she paced their bedroom with her hands on her hips. 'Or did you think you could keep it all secret? Think you could handle all of this on your own like an idiot?'

She pointed her finger at him and said, 'That is not fair, Dick! How many times have you lied to me, and everyone else, just to run off on your own half-cocked and get yourself injured, better yet, almost killed? You don't get to say that to me.'

'The man who killed your family is sleeping under the same roof as us! He's wearing my clothes, Eleanor,' Dick said as he gestured to their doors.

'If you cared enough to listen to anyone else's problems, you'd know there's been an appraisal in the case... Floyd's innocent, Dick. Barbara's got the papers if you want to look, god knows she'd let you...'

'What's that supposed to mean?'

'It means you two clearly have unfinished business,' she said and crossed her arms over her chest firmly, feeling the jealousy course through her veins.

'That's rich, yeah. How's Grant doing by the way? Were you ever going to tell me about whatever the fuck that was you two had going on?' He asked her, raising her eyebrows.

'That was almost seven years ago now.'

'Barbara and I...'

'Are still going, Dick!' She said, raising her voice over his. 'You're the only one who doesn't see it. You don't see the looks I get from her when she calls, you don't see the jealousy on my face when she wheels herself in here and gets the special treatment from you, or when you guys disappear to handle this whole fucking Red Hood case on your own.'

Dick shook his head and muttered, 'I'm done with Barbara.'

'Well, then you better tell her that,' Eleanor said quietly as she walked past him and headed for their bedroom doors.

'Where are you going?'

'I'm going to sleep in Zoe's room.'

'Are you serious, Eleanor?'

'Why don't you call Barbara, I'm sure she'll come keep you company!' As Eleanor stormed down the hall, she passed Kory, who gave her a worried look. 'Don't say anything,' she muttered before going into Zoe's room, swinging the door open and disturbing the father and daughter couple in bed, watching a movie. 'Hey, is it cool if I sleep in here?'

Zoe nodded, too focused on the movie, but Floyd's stare followed Eleanor as she fussed about with the pillows and blankets on the floor, clearly in a shit mood.

'Hey,' he said quietly, watching as she stood up fiercely and put her hands on her hips. 'Come here.'

Reluctantly, she walked over to the bed and sat down next to Floyd as he lifted the blankets for her. She scooted closer to him but froze when he lifted his arm and gestured for her to move even closer.

'Don't be so stubborn,' he muttered and shook his head.

With a small shake of her head, Eleanor let Floyd put his arm around her shoulders and she laid down and let her eyes focus on the movie.

As much as she hated him for certain things, he truly was the only father-like figure she had growing up. Not all of it was bad. He looked out for her in many ways that she never realised until she matured. Sometimes you can't choose your family.