forty seven

word count: 2.1k

a/n: okay last chapter before I go to bed lol

~

Maybe she was insane, maybe she had finally lost all sense of moral and she snapped, spiralling into the deep insanity of reacting irrationally. Again.

Letting out a deep breath that mimicked a sob, she would be crying right now if she had any liquid left in her system, she had sweated it all out. Eleanor shoved the tip of the spade into the dirt and scooped up another pile of it before tossing it over her shoulder.

'Eleanor, what the fuck!' She looked up at Dick's looming figure that stood against the fog. 'What are you doing?'

'Oh, shut up, I know you came out here to do the exact same thing,' she said and continued shovelling her way down to Jason's coffin.

With a small humph, Dick jumped down into the plot with his shovel and began helping her clear the dirt.

'If you're wrong about this, Grayson, we're done... and I'm not just talking about you and me— I mean the Titans, Wayne Manor, Gotham. You will never hear from me ever again,' she grunted out through gritted teeth. The last thing she wanted to do was pull open the coffin to find Jason's rotting corpse.

'I know.'

They continued digging in silence, the occasional grunt or groan being the only noise they made. Eleanor took notice of the way Dick stopped several times, almost as if he was reliving the moment he fought Jason, AKA Red Hood, the guy that had been running around Gotham killing people.

When Dick told them it was Jason, no one believed him and Hank had to stop Eleanor from jumping him with enclosed fists. But he insisted that it was him, the others labelled him as crazy, and/or grieving, and Eleanor did too until she saw how spaced out he was when they got home. She had never seen him so dissociated, and when he made himself sick in the bathroom, Eleanor grabbed the shovel and marched her way out to the family plot outback, after making sure he was okay of course. She was insolent sometimes, but not enough to leave a man clinging to a toilet bowl for dear life.

They must have dug for an hour, and when the tips of their spades hit the top of the coffin, Eleanor quickly tossed hers out of the grave, causing Dick to do the same. She dropped to her knees and ripped the top half of the coffin open, sitting back on her knees.

'Oh no,' Dick muttered and he lent over the top of her to look at the empty coffin. 'No, no, no!'

Jason was alive.

+

'There was a dead body. Jason's body. Bruce saw it with his own eyes,' Dick said as he stood in the living room with his arms crossed.

'Maybe he was confused,' Hank suggested.

Dawn, who was lying on the couch said, 'Bruce doesn't do confused..' The tension was still high between them.

'I don't want to say it, but...'

Dick interrupted Kory with, 'It was Jason. I saw him.'

'How did he do it?' Dawn asked and rested her hand on her cheek.

'Somebody do some kind of voodoo act and raise him from the dead? That's impossible,' Hank said as he paced back and forth with his arms raised in the air.

'It happened to me,' Eleanor said with a shrug from her place on the stool by the unlit fireplace.

'Yeah, but we had a little space witch to thank for that.'