fifty four

word count: 2.9k

~

'One poem, multiple bombs. Clues to where the bombs are, are placed in the poem,' Eleanor said, reading off of the scrap piece of paper she had found in the glove box and scribbled down the words Jason had told them earlier.

'What's the plan?' Jason asked from the back seat.

Dick muttered, 'Find some supers and stop the bomb from going off.'

'Titans?' Jason asked in a panic. 'What are they gonna do when they see me?'

'They're not.'

Dick pulled the car over and turned in his seat to face him.

'What's going on?' He asked nervously.

'Get out.'

'Out?'

'I can't bring you back to the Titans. It'll cause a war. But I do need you... We need you.'

'So I'm your dirty little secret?'

Eleanor turned around and asked, 'You want to help us, this is the way it's gonna be.'

'I can only fight one war at a time,' Dick reminded him with a shake of his head.

Jason hesitated before nodding. 'When do you need me?' Jason asked with a small roll of his eyes. Eleanor passed him one of her guns she had tucked away in her waistband. He took it with a small smile.

'If you don't hear from me before, meet me back here in three hours. Got it?' Dick asked.

'Yeah.'

Jason climbed out of the car and slammed the door shut, watching as the car sped away down the street.

They drove in silence for a short while until Eleanor muttered, 'Oh, God...' She placed her hands on her head and rested her elbows on her thighs, hunched over.

'What's wrong?' Dick asked and grabbed her hand firmly. She shook her head and remained silent for a few moments before signalling for him to pull over. He did it rather quickly and watched with wide eyes as she threw the door open, and then threw her guts up on the curb. 'Eleanor! Are you okay?'

She gave him a thumbs up and shook off her coat, relieving her old t-shirt she had owned for over a decade. She climbed out of the car and wiped her mouth, glancing at the bottle of water Dick had extended to her from the driver's seat. She took a large swig and spat it out over her shoulder.

She placed her hands on her hips and inhaled deeply.

'What was that?' Dick asked as he climbed out of the car and stood with the door open, looking at her from over the roof. 'Are you sick?'

'I don't know,' she muttered, closing her eyes as the nausea slowly slowed down. 'I'm fine. I'm okay, let's just keep going.'

'Are you sure?' He asked in worry, watching the way she wiped her eyes.

She nodded but remained silent as she climbed into the car, tossing her jacket behind her into the back seat. With a small sigh, Dick copied her actions, slowly pulling the car back out onto the road.

+

'Dick, do you copy?'

Both Eleanor and Dick looked at the radio in shock.

'Barbara?' He asked.

'Yeah, it's me. Are you okay?' She asked, causing Eleanor to roll her eyes.