thirty one

word count: 2.3k

~

Tightening her grip on the steering wheel, Eleanor glanced at Donna who had been staring at her for a while now. She sighed and looked back at the road, using her other arm to rest her elbow against the door. She rubbed her temples methodically and attempted to ignore Donna.

Finally, after another two minutes of being under her intense gaze, Eleanor had enough and snapped.

'What?' She hissed in annoyance.

'You drive like Dick,' Donna said and hummed, finally looking away.

'Oh, I do not.'

'You do! You've got the posture and mannerism down to a pat.'

From the backseat, Zoe quipped up, 'Is Dick her boyfriend?'

'Yes.'

'No!' Eleanor exclaimed and looked at Zoe through the mirror. Before she could make her case, her phone started ringing through the speakers of the car, turning their quiet music off. She frowned when she saw the name that popped up on the screen.

'Andrews? What's up?' She asked as she answered it. He had called her only a few weeks ago to ask about an old case she was involved with, and she only gave him what she knew and hung up. Rude, but Eleanor didn't care.

'Eleanor! How are you?' Her former co-worker asked.

With a deepening frown, Eleanor replied, 'I'm okay, yourself?'

'Yeah, good, yeah... Look I have a question—'

'I'm not doing you a favour after last time.'

'Oh, stop it. Look, truthfully, you and Grayson both left at the same time and I've been speculating a few things... It's got me all curious.'

'I watched my friend blow up in front of me and my partner was murdered, of course, I left. Us leaving at the same time was a coincidence, okay?'

'You don't have to lie to me, I'm your friend!'

Eleanor threw her hands up in annoyance, causing Donna to jump and grab the steering wheel. Eleanor slapped her hands away and sharply turned the corner onto the exit towards the diner, leaving poor Zoe to slide around the back seats.

'No, we are not!' She said loudly and gave Donna a pointed look. In the background of the call, Eleanor could hear people muttering.

'But don't you two live together?'

'No, we don't. Why would you think that?'

'That's what he said when he called in to talk about a transfer, the other day.'

'Dick's transferring?' Eleanor asked. 'Why wouldn't he tell me?'

'If you two ain't dating, he ain't gotta' tell you nothing,' Zoe said from the backseat.

'Zoe,' Eleanor warned, glaring at her through the mirror.

'You have a kid with you?' Andrews asked in shock. 'Don't tell me she's your kid?'

'What? No! Look, Andrews, I gotta go,' Eleanor said as she saw the diner approaching in the distance.

'Oh, come on! We need to catch up!'

'Goodbye!' She said before pressing the button on the screen to hang up the phone. Silence filled the car as Zoe and Donna glanced at one another; Eleanor's vibe had shifted drastically. 'Look. I don't know what Dick and I are. We go from, well, what we were to this. He hasn't answered my calls or my texts. He fucked off and he left me alone to look after Gar and Connor, and I couldn't even do that right...'