two

word count: 1.5k

~

Eleanor checked her reflection in the mirror, adjusted her hair around her face and gently picked at the small cut on the side of her nose before exiting back through the bathroom door, using her foot instead of her hands.

She was currently on a date that wasn't going all too well.

The guy was nice, and he was extremely handsome, maybe even a little too handsome for Eleanor. Unfortunately, he loved to talk about himself a lot. They had been at dinner for forty minutes and the only conversation topics had been about his career plans and the inheritance he got from his late grandparents.

'So sorry about that, William,' she said with a small laugh as she sat back down in her seat, placing her handbag on the table.

'It's no problem. You know, I've been talking about myself all night, tell me a bit about you,' he said suddenly and gestured to her.

A little caught off guard, Eleanor sat up in her chair in surprise. She bit back her smartarse comments and decided to reply with a proper answer. She owed this date to her mother and she wasn't just about to fuck it up over a joke that would only seem funny to herself.

'Oh! Well, I work at the Police station just down the road. I'm a detective there,' she said and smiled at him, but it fell as she watched as his face light up. Here we go...

Before she could get another word out, William sat forwards and held his finger up.

'You know, my brother-in-law's, best friend used to work for the DPD, and he said it was the best time of his life. Of course, that was until he got shot in the face, it was well over thirty years ago now, but still how scary would that have been? I've never really been the kind to get scared often...'

Eleanor felt her eyes glaze over as she sat back in her seat and listened to him ramble on once more.

She knew it was going to be a long night.

+

Eleanor was right, and it was indeed a long night and she had finally managed to slip away from the restaurant, and William, without even receiving her dinner. She made up some lame excuse about being paged into work and left before he could ask any questions.

Skipping up the edge of a curb, Eleanor fumbled for her keepass for her building's front door but stopped when someone whistled. She and Dick often whistled at one another to get each other's attention, and it was strange to her that she could distinctly tell it was him.

She spun around with a grin and waved at Dick, who was trying to get into his building also.

'What are you doing out this late?' She called across the street.

'Work. You?' He replied as he tucked his hands into his coat. He took notice of the revealing red dress she wore under her coat as it swayed in the wind. It was the first time he had seen her bare legs, and they were nearly pale enough to make him laugh.

She held her arms out and scoffed. 'Running from the worst date of my life!' She called to him, watching as he laughed to himself.

He quickly checked both ways for any incoming traffic before jogging across the street, a wide smile on his face.

'Scare him away did ya?' He asked, earning a small shove, not that he minded.

He was too distracted by her hair blowing in the wind. It was down— a rare sight to see. Usually, it was done in either a bun or ponytail with various braids. Eleanor's hair was the first thing Dick noticed about her. Platinum white and so incredibly long, he asked her if it was a wig only a few days after meeting her.