fifty seven

word count: 2.1k

~

Walking into the lobby of STAR Labs with her hand in Dicks, Eleanor looked up and watched the various holographic advertisements zip along the ceiling. It was futuristic, that was for sure.

'S.T.A.R. Labs. Scientific and Technological Advance Research Laboratories built by Garrison Slate in 1983, dedicated to pure scientific research, but no private or governmental affiliations.' As Tim rambled on, Eleanor eyed him weirdly. He reminded her of Zoe in so many ways.

'The Titans, I presume,' a young man said. He approached them rather quickly with a wide smile. He stuck his hand out to Dick who quickly let go of Eleanor's to shake it.

'Bernard. Good to see you!' Dick said and laced his fingers back through Eleanors.

'Good to see you again, Mr. Grayson... Miss Wayne,' He said to Eleanor, nodding his head deeply at her. She gave him a small smile— she had never met him, but he clearly knew about her. 'And welcome to everyone else. I'm so, so happy that you're all here. My name is Bernard Fitzmartin and I am the Director of Special Projects here at S.T.A.R. Laboratories.' He gestured to the woman by his side. 'This is Dr. Espenson, the Director of Applied Sciences, and we have got a very big day planned.'

She said, 'We've been scrambling a little since we heard you were coming today, but we've managed to put together a few things for you.' Her vibrant energy was contagious, and Eleanor found herself smiling.

'So, why don't I show you what we've been working on, and you show us what you can do? If you'd follow the good doctor... Dick, Conner, if you don't mind hanging back, um...' Eleanor trailed away with the rest of the group, her hand firmly in Rachels as they laughed at how excited the boys looked.

Finally, they all went their separate ways, Eleanor going with Dick, Gar, Conner and Tim as Rachel and Kory went with Doctor Espenson, who was very interested in Kory's powers.

Bernard tapped away at his iPad and muttered, 'Garfield Logan, your days of stripping naked in public are over.'

Gar, who was fiddling with the new nano-suit on his wrist, laughed. Eleanor hid her smile behind her hands as she attempted not to laugh at how excited he looked to them all.

'Just when I was starting to like it,' he told them, finally making Eleanor laugh. 'Can I give it a try?'

'Sure!' Bernard agreed.

Gar moved over to an empty spot in the lab and stared down at his wrist. He took a deep breath and hesitated before pressing the button on the wrist pad in excitement.

Eleanor watched with a wide smile as his eyes turned green, as well as his skin. Her smile slowly faded as his muscles grew almost double in size, and fur began to cover his entire body from head to toe. There they were standing before Gar, as a gorilla.

They were all frozen in fear.

'Gar?' Conner asked and stepped forward carefully, his hand reaching out to his friend.

With a loud cry, Gar leapt at Conner, baring his teeth widely. Conner was quick to run across to the other side of the lab, leaving the others stranded.

Dick grabbed Eleanor by the shoulders and practically threw her in Conner's direction, his feet quickly carrying him after her. As Gar the Gorilla shrieked and began his fit of rage, tearing down lighting fixtures, he began tossing things at everyone, leaving poor Conner to be everywhere at once to protect them all.