sixty four

word count: 2.1k

~

Eleanor followed behind everyone through S.T.A.R Labs, listening to Bernard quietly reprimand Tim for not texting him back. She listened curiously with a smile growing on her face once she recognised the small looks they gave one another.

'Are you absolutely sure this place can't be breached?' Kory asked as they rounded a corner.

Bernard laughed and said, 'Well, Superman and Constantine tried to break in, and neither of them could. It will keep you safe and sound until the red moon is white.'

Scoffing, Eleanor asked, 'Constantine? What's he doing nowadays? We could really use his help.'

'You've met him?' Bernard asked, glancing behind to look at her.

She tucked her hands into her jacket and muttered, 'Sure... Let it be a lesson, never make friends with sorcerers.' If Jinx was there, she knew she would have gotten a slap up the back of the head, so she added, 'Except Jinx... She's cool.'

The group gave her an odd and amused look before coming to a stop in front of two doors. Bernard punched in a few numbers. They entered the room and looked around.

'All right. So, there's a bathroom, food, water, um no Wi-Fi, sorry. Uh, but we will be monitoring your vitals. It'll be just a few hours. It'll fly by,' Bernard tried reassuring Sebastian, but it didn't really settle the man's nerves— the paranoid look on his face gave that away.

'Right, yeah, um, just a few hours, okay,' Sebastian muttered and slapped his hands against this side as the team began to leave the room.

'Hey, Bernard?' Rachel asked, turning around. 'Is there room for one more?'

He smiled and muttered, 'Of course.' Bernard then turned to Eleanor and handed her an iPad as they left Rachel and Sebastian to catch up. 'So, Dick may or may not have mentioned that you two are expecting a little one, congratulations by the way,' he said, offering a smile. She smiled and looked down at the calendar on the iPad. 'I've scheduled you in for an appointment with Dr Espenson. It's just a routine check-up, do you know how far along you are?'

'Bernard, that's very sweet of you,' Eleanor said, handing the iPad back to him. 'And no, I'm not completely sure. Maybe about ten weeks?'

'And we are all very excited,' Kory said, placing her hands on Eleanor's shoulders and hugging her firmly from behind. 'It's about time you start taking care of yourself and the baby. This magic stuff we're getting mixed in with might not be good for either of you.'

Bernard nodded and said, 'Kory is right. We would like to do a couple of scans to make sure it's not harming the baby.'

'I think I would know,' Eleanor said through a small chuckle. 'I'm okay, really. Just a bit nauseous but nothing to stress yourselves over. And I would really appreciate it if nobody else knew about this, Bernard. I haven't even told the rest of my family yet.'

'The rest of your family?' He asked as they finally came to a stop in the control room. 'You mean your father?'

Eleanor scrunched her nose up as Kory muttered, 'Ooh.' And finally, let go of Eleanor's shoulders.

'Well yeah, that's one person I guess. I want to tell Zoe first of all, and I'll tell Scott's family soon, I'm supposed to be going around to theirs in a couple of months for my niece's birthday, so we'll see what happens... Sorry, Bernard does Dick know about any of this? The scans and such.'

'Uh yes, he requested them earlier today. Is that okay?' Bernard asked her, tapping the device into his open palm.

'I guess it has to be,' she muttered and folded her arms over her chest. She didn't like the idea of Dick going behind her back and making these plans without her consent. She understood he worried himself over her but he still should have had the decency to speak to her.