CHAPTER 35

FAYE

"Holy fuck!" This was Jack's reaction when he first saw me from his car, where he was leaning against. Whistling, he took my hand and spun me around. "I knew you would be beautiful, but I didn't expect this much."

"Thank you," I said, holding the hem of my dress and bowing slightly. I was wearing a red dress with a fluffy skirt that stopped below my knees. It was a dress with thick straps that hugged my waist tightly and could not hide my breasts. Its color was blood red. Tom bought this dress for me, in Paris.

I looked him up and down and said, "You look very stylish too," He pressed his lips together and tried to hide his smile. He wore a simple suit, but it looked good on him.

When he opened my door, I gathered my dress and took my seat on the next seat. I couldn't help but remembering every single time Tom had opened my door.

The fundraiser was held in a grand ballroom in the heart of London. After Jack gave the key to the valet, he extended his arm to me and I took his arm. We entered the ballroom together, people many times richer than me had already filled the hall.

Most of the men in the hall were talking among themselves, not with their partners. Women looked so noble and luxurious that they showed every drop of their wealth. Even the clothes and hair of each of them shouted that they were superior to me.

Luckily, no one here knew that I was a middle-class girl working in a cafe. My dress was branded, my hair and make-up were done by Skye, and since the Reed family was a respected family, I thought I looked good enough.

We went to the bar side, where there were young people like us or more middle-aged people. The bar was designed in the shape of a circle. The few bartenders working were occupying the space in the middle.

Jack ordered a whiskey for himself and a cocktail for me. Since he didn't have to see his father for now, we were able to sit together and rate the outfits of the guests.

"I rate her an eight," I said, referring to a red-haired woman sitting at a table some distance away from us. "I'm giving away both points. She should have tied her hair up with this dress."

"A nine, for sure," he said. He squinted his eyes and examined the woman. "Her hair is red, after all. It doesn't matter whether she ties it or not."

I rolled my eyes. "What about the one next to her?" I asked. Although this woman was older, she was definitely more beautiful. I would give ten points.

We continued like this, turning our backs to the bar and rating people for a while. We had finished the second table, and when we got to the third table, I blinked my eyes to make sure I wasn't seeing anything wrong.

Tom was talking to two older men next to him and sipping the whiskey in his hand. The moment I saw him, my stomach knotted. I never thought he would be here. I was more surprised than I should have been because I didn't even consider it a possibility.

I shouldn't be surprised though. After all, this was a fundraiser among the rich people. And Tom was a very successful businessman, even though that wasn't his main job. The stupid thing was to think he wouldn't be here.

Since he hadn't seen me yet, I turned in my chair as if to hide. I turned my face back to the bar and reached for my cocktail to relieve the tension of Tom being here.

While I was bringing the cocktail to my lips, my eyes fell on someone sitting across the bar, and before I could take a sip, the glass slipped out of my hand.

He was here. Seb was right here.

My heart skipped a beat the moment I saw him, but I was sure it stopped completely when he saw me drop the glass and his gaze found me. He was literally in front of me, looking at me.